BUIES CREEK, N.C. – Tuesday night's matchup between Campbell and USC Upstate was close until the final three minutes of the game, the Camels ended the game on a 14-0 run as they defeated USC Upstate 61-41.
With the loss the Spartans fall to 6-15 overall on the season and 2-8 in the Big South Conference. Meanwhile, Campbell improves to 13-8 overall and 5-5 in conference play.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- For the third time this season the Spartans have reached a losing streak of at least three games.
- USC Upstate tied their lowest scoring output of the season with 41 points on Tuesday night.
- The Spartans are now 0-4 in Big South games played on Tuesday night.
- Riley Popplewell recorded her 10th career double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds.
- Brianna Lewis added 10 points and Natalia Panufnik contributed seven points off the bench.
- USC Upstate shot 30 percent from the field, 22 percent from three point range and 81 percent from the free throw line.
- Campbell had three players finish in double-figures and two players end with double-doubles.
- Taya Bolden recorded a team high 14 points and 10 rebounds, Caroline Bowns added 12 points and tied for the team high with 10 rebounds. Shyanne Tuelle contributed 13 points in the win for the Camels.
- Campbell shot 32 percent from the field, 20 percent from three point range and 75 percent from the free throw line.
- The game included four ties and three lead changes.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Brianna Lewis scored the opening basket for either side with 8:39 to go in the opening quarter.
- With 7:33 left in the opening quarter, DeNisha Swain knocked down a jumper to give the Spartans a 4-2 advantage.
- Over the next three minutes Campbell went on a 7-0 run to reclaim the lead heading into the first media timeout.
- Riley Popplewell ended the Camels 9-0 run with a layup at the 2:59 mark of the quarter.
- Popplewell tacked on a pair of free throws and that was it for the Spartans scoring wise in the opening frame.
- Campbell ended the opening quarter on a 5-0 run and went into the second quarter up 16-8.
- The Spartans shot 33 percent from the field, while the Camels shot 42 percent from the court.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Shyanne Tuell scored the first basket of the second quarter at the 7:36 mark.
- Popplewell answered on the next possession, scoring her sixth point of the night on a layup attempt.
- The Spartans defense shutdown the Camels in the opening moments of the second quarter. The Camels shot just 14 percent from the field.
- Lewis made a layup with 5:32 to go in the quarter to cut Campbell's lead down to 18-12.
- The Spartans went on an 8-0 run over five minutes in the second quarter and cut the Camels lead to two points.
- Michael Gibbons knocked down a three pointer as time expired to pull the Spartans within four of the Camels at the halftime break.
- USC Upstate shot 28 percent from the field in the opening half, while Campbell shot 29 percent. The Camels went into the locker room with a 24-20 advantage.
- Popplewell led all scorers with 11 points in the opening half.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Lewis scored the opening basket of the second half with 7:48 to go in the quarter. Popplewell scored on the very next Spartan possession to tie the game at 24 all.
- Popplewell scored again and the Spartans held a 26-24 lead with 6:27 to go in the third quarter.
- Tuelle hit a corner three-pointer to end the USC Upstate 11-0 run. On the next possession Lauren Carter made a layup and gave Campbell a 29-28 lead.
- Natalia Panufnik came off the bench and gave the Spartans a spark, scoring seven unanswered points and tying the game at 35.
- Barber Hayley hit a pair of free throws to break the tie and gave Campbell a 37-35 lead going into the final quarter of play.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Taya Bolden hit a jump shot with 7:36 remaining in the quarter to give the Camels a 41-37 lead. The jump shot was the first made field goal of the quarter.
- Entering the final media timeout of the game, the Spartans trailed 43-37 with 5:36 to play.
- Right out of the timeout break, Lewis knocked down a jumper giving the Spartans their first field goal of the quarter.
- Campbell finished the game on a 14-0 run and a 26-6 run over the final 11 minutes of the second half.
- USC Upstate made just one field goal and scored just six points in the final quarter of play.
- Campbell had their best quarter of the night, shooting 45 percent and scoring 24 points in the quarter.
- The Spartans will remain on the road and travel down to Charleston Southern on Saturday afternoon. Tip-off between USC Upstate and Charleston Southern is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and via text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).