Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate women's basketball team scored a season low 41 points in an 82-41 loss to Radford on Saturday afternoon inside the G.B. Hodge Center.
With the loss the Spartans fall to 6-14 overall and 2-7 in the Big South Conference. Radford, improves to 14-6 overall and 7-1 in Big South competition.
A LOOK AT NUMBERS
- USC Upstate scored just 41 points on Saturday making it their lowest offensive output all season.
- The Spartans were outscored 44-12 in the second half of Saturday's loss.
- USC Upstate missed all 18 three-point attempts in the loss.
- Natalia Panufnik led the team in scoring for the first time all season with 11 points off the bench.
- Brianna Lewis was the only starter to reach double-figures with 10 points in the contest.
- Radford had four players end the game with double-digit points, Lydia Rivers (17), Khiana Johnson (16), Destinee Walker (12) and Makaila Wilson (10).
- The Highlanders also had two players finish with a double-double; Rivers ended the game with a game high 17 points and 16 rebounds, while Johnson ended the game with 16 points and 10 assists.
- The Spartans finished the game shooting 29 percent from the field, zero percent from three point range and 42 percent from the free throw line.
- Radford ended the game shooting 45 percent from the field, 25 percent from three point range and 73 percent from the free throw stripe.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Radford won the opening tip and Rivers scored the opening layup off an offensive rebound at the 9:43 mark of the first quarter.
- The two squads then traded a couple of turnovers and missed shots, before Riley Popplewell tied the game at two.
- Rivers made her second layup of the contest with 7:32 to go in the quarter. Radford held the lead from this moment forward in the game.
- Popplewell made a jumper in the paint to cut the Highlanders lead to 6-4 with 6:33 to play in the opening stanza.
- Radford then went on a 10-0 run over the next three minutes of game time.
- Panufnik ended the Highlanders run with 2:04 to go in the quarter. The bucket sparked a 5-2 Spartans run to end the quarter.
- The Highlanders took an 18-11 lead into the second quarter.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Panufnik scored the opening basket of the second quarter, and the Spartans were back within five points of the Highlanders.
- Radford then countered with a 5-0 spurt to push the lead back to double-digits.
- A Lewis jumper at the 7:56 mark of the quarter ignited a 9-0 Spartans run, the run pulled USC Upstate back within four points of Radford.
- The Spartans and Highlanders then battled the rest of the way as each team traded baskets.
- Holding a 32-29 advantage with a minute left to go in the half, Radford finished the second quarter on a 6-0 run.
- USC Upstate won the battle in the paint in the second quarter, outscoring Radford 16-6 down low.
- The Spartans went into the halftime break trailing 38-29.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Coming out of the halftime break the Highlanders scored first with a three-point basket from Jen Falconer.
- Lewis scored the Spartans first basket of the half at the 8:35 mark of the quarter.
- The Highlanders responded to Lewis' bucket with a 9-0 run and pushing their lead to 22 points.
- Panufnik made a layup with 4:50 to go in the quarter to stop the run. Unfortunately, this turned out to be the last basket of the quarter for the Spartans.
- Radford closed out the quarter on a 7-0 run and outscored the Spartans 22-4 in the third frame.
- USC Upstate shot 18 percent from the field in the third quarter.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Radford opened up the fourth quarter with a 10-0 run over the Spartans.
- Bailey Wensler scored USC Upstate's first points of the quarter with 7:36 remaining in the game.
- The two squads then traded baskets down the stretch. Piper Morningstar made a three pointer with 3:01 to play to give Radford a 43 point lead.
- Lewis scored the final basket of the game with 2:39 to play in the quarter.
- USC Upstate shot 22 percent in the final quarter of play.
- The Spartans begin a three game road trip starting Tuesday night against Campbell University. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and via text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).