HAMPTON, Va. – The USC Upstate women's basketball team was plundered by the Hampton Pirates 67-43 on Tuesday night inside Convocation Center.
With the loss USC Upstate falls to 6-13 and 2-6 in Big South Conference play. Meanwhile, Hampton improves to 11-8 overall and 7-1 in Big South play.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- The USC Upstate women's basketball team has yet to win consecutive games this season and the Spartans are just 2-10 in road games.
- USC Upstate has yet to win a conference game on Tuesday night, falling to 0-3 during the conference season.
- The Spartans scored a season low 43 points, the last time USC Upstate was held under 50 points was during the season opener against Virginia Tech.
- Riley Popplewell recorded her ninth career double-double with a 14 point and 13 rebound performance against the Pirates.
- This is the second time this season Popplewell has recorded back-to-back double-doubles, earlier this year the junior had three in a row from December 4 – December 16.
- Starting point guard Brianna Lewis scored just five points in Tuesday night's loss, ending a five game double-digit scoring streak.
- USC Upstate shot just 25 percent from the field, 14 percent from three point range and 66 percent from the free throw line.
- Hampton shot 43 percent from the field, 24 percent from beyond the arch and 55 percent from the free throw line.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Kaylah Lupoe scored the first points of the game at the 8:55 mark of the first quarter.
- Popplewell tied the game up a few moments later and gave the Spartans their first basket of the game.
- Anda Kuzmina nailed a three-pointer with 7:50 to go in the opening quarter to give the Spartans a three point advantage. Lupoe made another layup on the next possession to pull the Pirates back within a point of the Spartans.
- The game remained a 5-4 USC Upstate advantage until the 5:41 mark of the quarter. Popplewell made her second layup of the night and pushed the Spartans lead back to three points.
- Charlisa Jenkins scored on back-to-back possessions to give the Pirates an 8-7 advantage.
- The two teams traded baskets the rest of the quarter, Michaela Gibbons scored the final basket with 49 seconds to go in the quarter.
- The game was tied at 13 all heading into the second stanza of action.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Mahaley Holit knocked down a three pointer with 9:33 to go in the quarter and gave Hampton the lead once and for all.
- USC Upstate called a timeout with 5:20 remaining in the quarter to stop a 13-0 run by Hampton.
- The Spartans first bucket of the second stanza came at the 5:02 mark, when Natalia Panufnik hit a jump shot.
- USC Upstate began to claw their way back into the game, Gibbons made a layup with 2:29 to go in the half to cut the Pirates lead to 26-20.
- Hampton went into the halftime break with a 30-23 advantage.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Ashley Bates made a three point basket right out of the gates to give Hampton a ten point lead over the Spartans.
- The Pirates went on a 7-0 run over the first 4:30 of the third quarter. Gibbons hit a three pointer to stop the run with 6:31 to go in the quarter.
- With 2:41 to go in the quarter, Hampton had extended their lead to 49-29.
- The Spartans went into the final quarter of play down 54-35.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- USC Upstate was outscored 13-8 in the final quarter of play and shot just 12.5 percent from the field.
- Bailey Wensler made the final basket for the Spartans with two seconds to go in the game.
- The Spartans return to the G.B. Hodge Center this Saturday afternoon for a homecoming matchup with top ranked Radford at 2:00 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and via text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).