BOILING SPRINGS, N.C. – The USC Upstate women's basketball was unable to break their three game losing streak on Tuesday evening as the Spartans fell to Gardner-Webb 92-72 inside Paul Porter Arena.
With the loss USC Upstate falls to 5-12 and 1-5 in Big South play, while Gardner-Webb improves to 10-8 and 4-2 in conference play.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- USC Upstate is now on a season high four game losing streak.
- The Spartans have now lost three consecutive games when holding a double digit lead at some point in the contest.
- DeNisha Swain led the team in scoring with 23 points in the contest. Brianna Lewis had another quality game with 21 points, seven assists and four steals. Riley Popplewell had another double digit scoring game and led the team once again in rebounds with eight boards.
- USC Upstate shot 46 percent from the field, 47 percent from three point range and 90 percent from the free throw line.
- Carley Plentovich had a career night for Gardner-Webb, setting new career highs in points (36) and rebounds (13). Plentovich also tied for the team lead in assists (5) and finished second on the team in steals (4).
- Jhessyka Williams contributed 19 points and Neydja Petithomme added 11 points and a team high six steals.
- Gardner-Webb won every statistical category on Tuesday night with the exception of free throw percentage.
- The Runnin' Bulldogs shot 48 percent from the field, 48 percent from beyond the arch and 60 percent from the charity stripe.
- Gardner-Webb led for just 12:35 during the game. The game was tied on four different occasions and had just one lead change.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Brianna Lewis forced to Gardner-Webb to turn the ball over on the opening possession. Lewis was fouled on the layup attempt and hit both free throw attempts.
- Popplewell scored the Spartans first field goal at the 9:11 mark of the opening quarter.
- The Spartans opened the game on a 7-2 run before the Bulldogs countered with a 5-2 run of their own.
- The Runnin' Bulldogs turned the ball over four times in the opening five minutes of game.
- The USC Upstate offense exploded coming out of the first media timeout of the opening frame. The Spartans stingy defense forced multiple turnovers as USC Upstate went on a 14-2 run over a four minute stretch.
- Gardner-Webb called a timeout to try and slow the run down but it was to no avail as the Spartans held a 23-9 lead with 50 seconds to go in the first quarter.
- The Spartans ended the opening quarter shooting 56 percent from the field and 57 percent from three point range. USC Upstate forced nine Gardner-Webb turnovers in the opening frame.
- DeNisha Swain scored 10 points in the opening quarter and was a perfect four-for-four from the field.
- Gardner-Webb shot just 36 percent from the field, the Spartans ended the first quarter with a 26-10 lead.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- The Spartans stingy defense remained in the second quarter as they forced an early Gardner-Webb turnover.
- Breanna Jefferson hit a kick-out three to begin the quarter and a possession later Anda Kuzmina knocked down another three.
- USC Upstate then went on a bit of a scoring drought, going three minutes without a field goal.
- Over that same stretch the Runnin' Bulldogs shot five-of-seven from the field and closed the lead to 36-23.
- Coming out of the second quarter media timeout, Gardner-Webb went on a 7-0 run and USC Upstate was forced to call a timeout holding a 38-30 advantage.
- Gardner-Webb went 19-4 down the stretch and USC Upstate turned the ball over seven times in the final 4:15 of the half.
- USC Upstate held a 38-37 lead going into the halftime break, DeNisha Swain had 12 first half point.
- Carley Plentovich led Gardner-Webb with 17 points in the opening half of play. The Bulldogs shot 64 percent from three point range in the first half.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Swain started the scoring early for the Spartans, hitting a corner three-pointer to end the USC Upstate scoring drought.
- After a lot of back-and-forth between the two teams, Savannah Plentovich hit a three-pointer from the top of the key to tie the game at 51.
- Coming out of the third quarter media timeout the Spartans went three-for-three from the field.
- Carly Plentovich hit a three pointer with 3:00 minutes to go in the quarter to give Gardner-Webb their first lead of the contest.
- The Spartans turned the ball over on three consecutive possessions and Gardner-Webb capitalized on the miscues and took a 63-58 lead with 52 seconds to go in the third quarter.
- Gardner-Webb went into the final quarter with a 63-58 advantage. USC Upstate ended the third quarter on a 2:05 minute scoring drought.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Gardner-Webb went on a 6-0 run to begin the final quarter of play and forced USC Upstate to call a timeout down 69-58.
- Swain knockdown a corner three once again and gave the Spartans their first points of the fourth quarter.
- The Runnin' Bulldogs called a timeout with 6:23 to go in the game after Popplewell hit a layup to bring the Spartans within eight points.
- The Spartans emptied out their bench with a timeout with 2:23 to go in the game.
- USC Upstate shot 33 percent from the field and 25 percent from the three point arch. The Spartans were outscored 29-14 in the final quarter of play.
- The USC Upstate women's basketball team will return home this coming Saturday to battle Longwood University at 2 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and via text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).