Rock Hill, S.C. – USC Upstate senior guard DeNisha Swain dropped a career high 33 points in a 76-50 win over Winthrop on Thursday night inside the Winthrop Coliseum.
The win brings the Spartans record to 5-8, 1-1 BSC and Winthrop falls to 6-8, 2-1 BSC.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- This is the Spartans first ever win in the Big South Conference.
- USC Upstate led wire-to-wire.
- Swain stuffed the stat sheet on Thursday night, outside of her 33 points the senior also had six rebounds, four assists and four steals.
- Anda Kuzmina came off the bench and scored 15 points and collected 5 rebounds in the victory.
- Michaela Gibbons scored 10 points, forced four steals and hauled in five rebounds as a starter.
- Riley Popplewell led the team with seven rebounds, while Brianna Lewis had eight assists to lead the Spartans.
- Jah'che Whitfield led Winthrop with 12 points, eight rebounds and seven steals in the loss.
- USC Upstate scored 23 points off of turnovers, 30 points in the paint, 12 points on fastbreak opportunities and 25 bench points.
- The Spartans shot 48 percent from the field, 44 percent from three point range and 85 percent from the free throw line.
- Winthrop shot 34 percent from the field, 40 percent from beyond the three point arch and 71 percent from the free throw line.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- The Spartans opened the game on a 7-0 run, Winthrop ended the run at the 7:46 mark in the opening frame.
- Swain scored five of the Spartans first seven points in the game and never looked back.
- At the 4:40 mark of the opening quarter Lewis knockdown an open jump shot that started a quick 6-3 run that helped the Spartans pull away from the Eagles.
- USC Upstate went into the second quarter with a 19-12 advantage.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Swain scored the first five points of the second quarter, pushing the Spartans lead to 12 points over Winthrop.
- Gibbons made jump shot at the 5:26 mark of the second quarter was the first Spartan basket not scored by Swain in the second quarter.
- The Spartans finished the quarter on a 20-3 run over the final 4:30 of playing time in the first half.
- USC Upstate went into the locker room up 48-22, Swain ended the first half with 20 points.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Kathryn Kirkwood scored the first basket of the second half at the 7:06 mark.
- Coming out of the under four media timeout of the third quarter, Swain jump started a stagnant Spartan offense with back-to-back baskets.
- Riley Popplewell scored the last basket of the third quarter giving the Spartans a 60-34 advantage heading into the final quarter of play.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Winthrop began the fourth quarter on a 7-0 run.
- At the 6:53 mark of the fourth quarter Anda Kuzmina knocked down a three pointer to score the first points of the quarter for the Spartans.
- Brianna Lewis scored the final basket for the Spartans with 30 seconds to go in the game.
- The Spartans held the Eagles to 36 percent shooting in the second half.
- The USC Upstate women's basketball team will remain on the road with a trip to Presbyterian this Saturday at 2:00 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and via text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).