SPARTANBURG, S.C. – Michaela Gibbons scored a game high 19 points and hauled in a team high six rebounds on Saturday afternoon but it was High Point who walked out of the Eddie and Ann Payne Arena with an 87-61 victory over USC Upstate.
With the loss USC Upstate falls to 4-8, 0-1 BSC and High Point improves to 8-4, 1-0 BSC.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Michaela Gibbons scored 16 of her 19 points in the first half of Saturday's contest.
- Brianna Lewis scored 15 points and had a career high 5 steals in the loss.
- Riley Popplewell finished with 14 points and a season high six made free throws.
- High Point had five players finish in double figures. Emma Bockrath had a team high 17 points, Camryn Brown and Lindsey Edwards each contributed 15 points, while Bria Gibson and Shea Morgan added 13 and 11 points respectively.
- Miya Bull hauled in 13 rebounds for the Panthers and added 5 points in 25 minutes of game time.
- The Spartans shot 37 percent from the field, 35 percent from the three-point arch and 85 percent from the free throw line.
- High Point shot 43 percent from field, 42 percent from three-point range and 85 percent from the charity stripe.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- High Point raced out to a 10-0 lead in the first 4:30 of play in the opening quarter.
- Anda Kuzmina knockdown down the Spartans first field goal of the game at the 5:42 mark.
- USC Upstate's bench outscored High Point 10-7 in the first quarter of action.
- The Panthers held 15 point leads on three different occasions in the opening quarter.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- The Spartans shot 43 percent from the field and 50 percent from the three point arch in the second quarter.
- USC Upstate forced five High Point turnovers and score five points off of the miscues.
- Gibbons went 4-of-6 from the field and led all scorers with nine points in the quarter.
- Lewis added eight points in the quarter with a pair of steals.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- The two teams were tightly competitive in the third quarter with High Point edging out USC Upstate 17-14.
- DeNisha Swain scored the Spartans first points of the quarter and brought the deficit to within 17 of the Panthers.
- High Point then went on a 9-2 run over the next four minutes of action.
- USC Upstate scored 10 of their 14 points at the free throw line in the third quarter.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- High Point started off the final quarter with an 8-0 run and extended their lead to 31 points over the Spartans.
- Gibbons scored the Spartans first basket with 7:51 remaining in the game.
- USC Upstate scored eight of their 14 points in the paint in the final quarter.
- The Spartans shot 40 percent from three point range and 37 percent from the field in the fourth quarter.
- The Spartans next game will be on the road against Winthrop on January 10 at 7 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and via text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).