Greenville, N.C. – Riley Popplewell collected her third straight double-double, including a career-high 15 rebounds, on Sunday afternoon as the USC Upstate women's basketball team fell 63-53 to the East Carolina Pirates from Minges Coliseum.
USC Upstate drops to 3-7 on the season while East Carolina improves to 7-2 overall.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Popplewell compiled her third consecutive double-double this season, and seventh of her career, with 12 points and a career-high 15 rebounds on 6-of-10 shooting.
- Brianna Lewis led the Spartans offensively tying for a game-high 18 points.
- DeNisha Swain tied her career-high of 12 rebounds while dishing out a season-best six assists to go with three steals.
- Salita Green came off the bench to score 18 points for East Carolina while Lashonda Monk added 11.
- Destiny Campbell grabbed a team-high 11 rebounds.
- USC Upstate finished the game shooting 30.4 percent (21-of-69) from the field.
- Both teams totaled 11 second chance points.
- The game featured five ties and four lead changes.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- The Pirates opened the game on a 15-2 run over the first seven minutes of play.
- The Spartans answered by closing out the quarter on a 9-2 run that covered the final 3:11.
- All nine points for USC Upstate during the run came on 3-pointers by Michaela Gibbons, Rylie Parkhurst and Natalia Panufnik.
- East Carolina connected on a jumper as time expired to lead 17-11 after the first quarter.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- The Spartans outscored the Pirates 11-6 in the second quarter.
- East Carolina scored four of the first seven points and held a 21-14 lead at the 6:56 mark.
- USC Upstate finished the quarter on a 9-1 run that lasted six minutes to trail 23-22 at halftime.
- The Spartans held the Pirates without a point for the final 4:28.
- Panufnik and Popplewell both made layups to send USC Upstate into halftime down by one point.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- The Spartans also outscored East Carolina 16-15 in the third quarter.
- Bailey Wensler started the second half with a 3-pointer and gave USC Upstate its first lead of the game at 25-23 with 9:07 remaining.
- The score would be tied twice over a stretch of 2:09 before a layup by Popplewell put the Spartans back in front 30-28 at the 5:24 mark.
- Lewis gave USC Upstate its largest lead of the game at 38-33 with 1:40 left on a 3-pointer.
- The Pirates scored the final five points of the quarter and tied the game at 38-38.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- East Carolina began the fourth quarter with a 9-3 run and led 47-41 with 7:12 remaining.
- The Pirates led by as many as 10 points four times in the quarter starting at 51-41 with 5:21 left.
- The Spartans got as close as six points twice with the last coming at 57-51 with 1:09 to go on a layup by Lewis.
- Green recorded the last six points for East Carolina, including two free throws with six seconds remaining, to put the final score at 63-53.
- USC Upstate plays its final non-conference game of the season on Tuesday evening hosting Brevard at 6 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and via text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).