Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate women's basketball team eclipsed the century mark for the first time this season, while eight players scored in double-figures, on Saturday afternoon as the Spartans defeated the Bob Jones Bruins 101-53 from Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate improves to 3-6 on the season while Bob Jones falls to 5-9 overall.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- The Spartans scored over 100 points in a game for the first time since a 109-39 victory at home on Jan. 2, 2018 against Brevard.
- Brianna Lewis, Riley Popplewell and Michaela Gibbons each recorded double-doubles to lead USC Upstate.
- Lewis scored a game-high 18 points and dished out a career-high 10 assists for her first career double-double as a Spartan.
- Popplewell compiled the sixth double-double of her career, and third this season, on 14 points and 12 rebounds.
- Gibbons picked up her first career double-double on 13 points and a career-high 10 rebounds.
- Kathryn Kirkwood added a career-high 12 points on 6-of-11 shooting while Anda Kuzmina came off the bench to score 11.
- DeNisha Swain, Natalia Panufnik and Rylie Parkhurst each scored 10 points.
- Swain also had a game-high five steals.
- Sarah Thomsen scored a team-high 14 points for the Bruins.
- USC Upstate finished the game shooting 50.0 percent (44-of-88) from the field and held a 58-28 advantage in rebounds.
- The Spartans also led 54-22 in points in the paint, 23-7 in points off turnovers, 20-2 in second chance points and 16-0 in fast break points.
- USC Upstate's bench outscored Bob Jones 49-18 led by 13 from Gibbons.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- The Spartans opened the game on an 11-4 run and took a seven-point lead with 5:27 remaining on a layup by Popplewell.
- Madison Shupe followed the next possession for the Bruins with a 3-pointer and made the score 11-7.
- USC Upstate outscored Bob Jones 16-2 over the final 3:49 including a run of 10 consecutive points.
- Lewis and Swain combined for the last six points with layups as the Spartans led 27-9 after the first quarter.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- USC Upstate scored the first 11 points of the second quarter and took a 38-9 lead less than three minutes in on a layup from Gibbons.
- Thomsen answered on the next possession with a 3-point play and cut the score to 38-12 at the 7:15 mark.
- Lewis gave the Spartans a 30-point lead at 44-14 with 6:34 left on a jumper.
- USC Upstate took its largest lead of the half at 64-17 with 56 seconds remaining on a 3-pointer by Parkhurst.
- The Bruins connected on a jumper with 39 seconds left in the half as the Spartans led 64-19 at halftime.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Bob Jones started the second half on a 12-3 run that covered the opening 4:30 and cut USC Upstate's lead down to 67-31.
- The Bruins got as close as 35 points twice with the last coming at 74-39 with 3:45 remaining on a Sydney Bedsaul 3-pointer.
- The Spartans held Bob Jones without a field goal over the next 3:41 as part of a 7-1 run.
- Panufnik put USC Upstate ahead 81-39 with 54 seconds left after her layup.
- Bethany Daulton made a free throw with 42 seconds remaining and made the score 81-40 after the third quarter.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Lewis scored the first four points of the fourth quarter and extended the Spartans lead to 85-40 at the 8:48 mark.
- USC Upstate led by at least 40 points over the game's final 11:05 going back to the third quarter.
- Kirkwood gave the Spartans their largest lead of the game at 101-50 with 1:28 to go on her layup.
- Thomsen knocked down a 3-pointer with 31 seconds left to put the final score at 101-53.
- USC Upstate is back in action on Sunday, Dec. 16 traveling to Greenville, N.C. for a 2 p.m. tipoff against the East Carolina Pirates.
Follow USC Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and via text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).