Orangeburg, S.C. – Brianna Lewis scored a career-high 35 points on Wednesday evening as the USC Upstate women's basketball team fell to the South Carolina State Bulldogs, 71-66, in non-conference play from Smith-Hammond-Middleton Memorial Center.
USC Upstate falls to 2-5 on the season while South Carolina State improves to 3-4 overall.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Lewis became the first Spartan since the 2007-08 season to score 35 points in a game joining Courtney Hawkins, Julie Pridgeon, Gwen Proctor and Brenda Wofford.
- She fell one point shy of tying Proctor for the single-game scoring record of 36.
- The last USC Upstate player to score 30 or more points in a game was Raven Jefferson on Dec. 3, 2016 registering 30 against Bob Jones.
- Lewis led all players in scoring after shooting 13-of-23 from the field and connected on 9-of-11 free throws. She also contributed five assists and two steals.
- Natalia Panufnik finished the game shooting 5-of-10 overall for 11 points.
- Riley Popplewell grabbed a team-high nine rebounds.
- Ester Udonsi had a double-double to lead the Bulldogs with 17 points and 10 rebounds.
- Rhein Beamon added 15 points and Jaquanna Murray nine rebounds.
- The Spartans concluded the game shooting 26-of-60 (43.3 percent) from the field and made 12 of their 16 free throw attempts.
- USC Upstate held a 46-22 advantage in points in the paint and 6-2 in fast break points.
- The game featured three ties and two lead changes.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- South Carolina State led by as many as six points twice to start the game with the last coming at 9-3 with 6:45 remaining.
- The Spartans cut their deficit down to two points three times starting at 9-7 with 6:07 left on a layup by Panufnik.
- Michaela Gibbons later made it a 14-12 game at the 2:24 mark with her layup.
- The Bulldogs scored five straight points to lead 19-12 with 38 seconds to go.
- Lewis was fouled with no time remaining and made two free throws to put the score at 19-14.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- South Carolina State recorded the first four points of the quarter to lead 23-14 at the 7:48 mark.
- The Bulldogs took a 10-point advantage at 26-16 with 3:43 remaining on a 3-pointer.
- Lewis made two more free throws and cut the lead down to 26-21 with 1:48 left.
- A layup by South Carolina State with 25 seconds to go gave it a 31-21 lead at halftime.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- USC Upstate outscored the Bulldogs 17-9 in the third quarter.
- The Spartans opened the half on an 8-0 run, holding South Carolina State scoreless for 2:27, and trailed 31-29 with 7:33 remaining on a layup by Popplewell.
- The Bulldogs answered with seven straight points and went ahead 38-29 at the 4:41 mark.
- South Carolina State maintained its nine-point lead at 40-31 with 3:24 left.
- USC Upstate closed out the quarter on a 7-0 run over the final 1:55.
- Lewis' layup as time expired made the score 40-38.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- The teams combined for 59 points in the fourth quarter.
- Panufnik tied the score at 40-40 just 12 seconds into the quarter with her jumper.
- The Spartans would take a 44-42 lead with 8:16 to go after a layup from Lewis.
- The Bulldogs followed with a 14-4 run that lasted nearly three minutes and held a 56-48 advantage.
- Lewis and Rylie Parkhurst combined for seven straight points and put the score at 56-55 with 4:09 remaining.
- After South Carolina State went back in front by six points, USC Upstate scored six consecutive points and evened the score at 63-63 with 1:08 to go after a jumper by Lewis.
- The Bulldogs finished the final 45 seconds outscoring the Spartans 8-3.
- A layup by Lewis with three seconds remaining made the final score 71-66.
- USC Upstate concludes its four-game road trip on Tuesday, Dec. 4 at 12 p.m. against Western Carolina.
Follow USC Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and via text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).