Spartanburg, S.C. – Brianna Lewis scored over 20 points for the third consecutive game on Tuesday evening as the USC Upstate women's basketball team captured its first win of the season with a 69-51 victory over the Converse Valkyries from Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center.
With the win, USC Upstate improves to 1-3 on the season.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Lewis set a new career-high in scoring for the third straight game leading all players with 27 points.
- Lewis also tied her career-high of 10 field goals after going 10-of-19 from the field while contributing a career-best seven assists.
- Michaela Gibbons fell one point shy of matching her career-high after finishing with 12 points while tying her career-best of four 3-pointers.
- DeNisha Swain set a new career-high defensively pulling down 11 rebounds and added eight points and four steals.
- Riley Popplewell compiled nine rebounds and a career-high five steals.
- Rylie Parkhurst connected on three 3-pointers and finished with nine points.
- Nigeria Davis had a double-double for Converse on 12 points and 12 rebounds.
- Priscilla Delaney scored 10 points.
- Tee Ballard led all players with 13 rebounds.
- The Spartans finished the game shooting 35.8 percent (24-of-67) from the field.
- USC Upstate held a 32-26 advantage in points in the paint, 21-13 in points off turnovers and 10-0 in fast break points.
- The Spartans also led 25-21 in bench points highlighted by 12 from Gibbons.
- USC Upstate forced the Valkyries into a season-high 30 turnovers.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Converse jumped out to an early 4-0 lead to start the game.
- The Spartans answered with a 9-2 run over the next two minutes and took a 9-6 lead with 7:11 remaining on a layup by Lewis.
- Swain put USC Upstate back in front 13-12 at the 4:18 mark with her layup.
- The Valkyries closed out the quarter on a 10-3 run, covering the final 3:14, and led 22-16 after one.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Converse scored the first two points of the second quarter and held its largest lead of the game at 24-16 with 8:12 left.
- The Spartans responded with a 12-2 run that lasted nearly four minutes and took the lead back at 28-26 with 4:26 to go after Swain's layup.
- Lewis scored seven of USC Upstate's 12 points during the run.
- A three-point play from Lewis with 2:11 left gave the Spartans a 36-28 advantage.
- The Valkyries scored the final three points as USC Upstate led 36-31 at halftime.
- The Spartans outscored Converse 20-9 in the second quarter.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- The Valkyries cut USC Upstate's lead down to three, 36-33, just over 30 seconds into the second half on a layup.
- Gibbons sparked an 11-1 run for the Spartans, highlighted by three 3-pointers, as they extended their lead out to 47-34 at the 6:13 mark.
- The fourth 3-pointer of the quarter from Gibbons kept USC Upstate ahead 52-40 with 2:41 remaining.
- Converse made it a 52-45 game with 1:22 left after a layup forcing the Spartans into a timeout.
- Parkhurst knocked down a 3-pointer with 39 seconds to go giving USC Upstate a 55-45 lead heading into the final quarter.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Neither team scored for the opening 1:28 of the fourth quarter before Parkhurst drilled a 3-pointer to put the Spartans in front 58-45.
- USC Upstate led by as many as 19 points twice with the first coming at 64-45 with 4:11 remaining on Parkhurst's 3-pointer.
- The Valkyries got as close as 14 points, 64-50, at the 3:22 mark on a layup.
- The Spartans scored five straight points, with four coming from Swain, to give them a 69-50 advantage with 1:30 left.
- Converse made one free throw with 1:15 remaining to put the final score at 69-51.
- USC Upstate heads to Greenville, S.C. on Saturday afternoon for a 2 p.m. tipoff against Furman.
Follow USC Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).