Lincoln, Neb. – Brianna Lewis led three Spartans in double-figures on Sunday as the USC Upstate women's basketball team closed out a three-game season-opening road trip with an 87-64 loss to the Nebraska Cornhuskers from Pinnacle Bank Arena.
USC Upstate falls to 0-3 on the season while Nebraska improves to 1-1 overall.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Lewis scored over 20 points for the second straight game leading all players with a game-high 26 on 10-of-21 shooting while going 6-for-6 at the free throw line. She added six assists and three steals.
- DeNisha Swain contributed 11 points while Natalia Panufnik recorded her first double-digit scoring effort as a Spartan with 10.
- Riley Popplewell led USC Upstate defensively with seven rebounds and Michaela Gibbons added six.
- Taylor Kissinger had a team-high 22 points for the Cornhuskers while Kate Cain tallied 16 and Maddie Simon 10.
- The Spartans finished the game shooting 38.3 percent (23-of-60) from the field.
- USC Upstate connected on 12 of its 13 free throw attempts for a 92.3 percent mark.
- The Spartans also compiled 24 points in the paint, 11 points off turnovers and four fast break points.
- Both teams finished with seven second chance points.
- USC Upstate had 13 points from its bench led by 10 from Panufnik.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Swain connected on an early 3-pointer less than a minute into the game to put the Spartans ahead 3-2.
- Popplewell kept USC Upstate within one point, 8-7, at the 7:33 mark following her jumper.
- The Spartans would get as close as two, 11-9, after that on a Lewis layup with 6:08 remaining.
- Following a 3-pointer from Swain with 4:20 to go, Nebraska closed out the quarter on a 9-0 run to lead 26-12.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- USC Upstate outscored the Cornhuskers 21-17 in the second quarter.
- The Spartans began the period on a 6-0 run and trailed 26-18 at the 7:47 mark after a basket from Lewis.
- Nebraska took its largest lead of the first half at 31-18 with 6:53 remaining and led by double-digits for the next four minutes.
- Lewis and Kathryn Kirkwood scored on back-to-back possessions to keep USC Upstate within eight points.
- Lewis' layup with 1:28 to go made the score 41-33.
- Ashtyn Veerbeek's layup with 56 seconds remaining gave the Cornhuskers a 43-33 lead at halftime.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Nebraska jumped out to a 15-point lead to start the second half before Panufnik knocked down a 3-pointer to put the Spartans down 50-38 with 8:05 left.
- Swain's 3-pointer at the 5:58 mark trimmed the deficit for USC Upstate down to 55-44.
- The Cornhuskers led by as many as 19 points twice over the final 3:26.
- Kissinger was successful on a jumper to give Nebraska a 67-48 lead going into the fourth quarter.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- The Cornhuskers jumped out to a 21-point lead to begin the fourth quarter before Lewis and Popplewell combined for eight points as part of an 8-2 run.
- The 8-2 run, with Lewis scoring six of the points, cut the Nebraska lead to 71-56 with seven minutes remaining.
- The Cornhuskers led by at least 20 points for a majority of the final five minutes of the game.
- The Spartans got as close as 19 points twice during a one minute stretch with the last coming at 79-60 with 2:49 left after a pair of free throws from Lewis.
- Nebraska connected on a 3-pointer with six seconds remaining for its largest lead of the game and put the final score at 87-64.
- USC Upstate hosts Converse in its home opener on Tuesday evening at 6 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).