Blacksburg, Va. – Brianna Lewis scored a team-high 17 points in her first game at USC Upstate on Tuesday evening as the Spartan women's basketball team opened their 2018-19 season with a 96-45 loss to the Virginia Tech Hokies at Cassell Coliseum.
USC Upstate falls to 0-1 on the season while Virginia Tech improves to 1-0 overall.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Lewis connected on five field goal attempts and went 7-for-10 at the free throw line and led the Spartans with 17 points, six rebounds and five assists.
- Michaela Gibbons, Bailey Wensler and Kathryn Kirkwood all had six points.
- Riley Popplewell contributed five rebounds and two blocks.
- DeNisha Swain registered four steals, three rebounds and two assists.
- Regan Magarity and Trinity Baptiste each had double-doubles for the Hokies as Magarity posted 12 points and 15 rebounds while Baptiste added 10 points and 10 rebounds.
- Taylor Emery and Dara Mabrey each scored a game-high 18 points.
- USC Upstate finished the game shooting 15-for-60 (25 percent) from the floor and connected on eight 3-pointers with Gibbons, Wensler and Kirkwood making two apiece.
- Both teams recorded three blocks in the contest.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Lewis scored each of the Spartans first seven points of the game as her initial three gave USC Upstate a 3-2 lead less than four minutes into the quarter.
- A pair of free throws from Lewis tied the game for USC Upstate at 7-7 with 4:14 remaining.
- Virginia Tech followed with five straight points before Lewis' layup put the Spartans down 12-9 with 2:27 left.
- The Hokies outscored USC Upstate 8-3 over the final 1:50 to lead 20-12.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- The Spartans started the second quarter on a 7-0 run with Lewis making two free throws, Popplewell connecting on a jumper and Swain's 3-pointer.
- USC Upstate trailed Virginia Tech 20-19 with 7:28 to go after the triple from Swain.
- The Hokies scored the final 16 points of the quarter, taking up a stretch of 5:52, to lead 36-19 at halftime.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Virginia Tech jumped out to a 42-19 lead to begin the third quarter before Natalia Panufnik's lauyup cut the Spartans deficit to 42-21.
- Gibbons made it a 51-31 contest with 4:13 remaining following her 3-pointer.
- USC Upstate trailed by 22 points twice over the final 3:16 with the last coming at 57-35 at the 2:55 mark on Wensler's 3-pointer.
- The Hokies knocked down a 3-pointer with three seconds left to lead 67-36.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- The Spartans got as close as 69-39 in the fourth quarter on Panufnik's 3-pointer with 8:42 left.
- Kirkwood connected on a 3-pointer with 1:51 to go to put the score at 90-45.
- Virginia Tech scored the final six points for the 96-45 victory.
- USC Upstate continues its season-opening road trip on Friday evening at 8 p.m. EST against Nebraska-Omaha.
Follow USC Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).