Nashville, Tenn. – Tamera Thorpe and Michaela Gibbons each finished in double figures but the USC Upstate women's basketball team saw its season end on Friday night thanks to a 95-53 loss to Lipscomb in the ASUN Tournament Quarterfinals at Allen Arena.
Lipscomb improves to 12-18 while USC Upstate concludes the 2017-18 season at 11-19.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Thorpe led the Spartans with 14 points to finish in double figures for the 17th time this season.
- Gibbons finished with 12 points, one shy of tying her career-high.
- Thorpe and Morgan Williams each grabbed six rebounds.
- ASUN Player of the Year Loren Cagle scored a game-high 20 points to lead Lipscomb.
- Emily Kmec also finished in double figures with 18 points and had a game-high seven rebounds.
- Lipscomb outrebounded USC Upstate 35-31.
- The Lady Bisons finished the game 34-for-64 (53.1 percent) from the field and 16-for-31 (51.6 percent) from behind the 3-point line.
- USC Upstate finished 15-for-44 (34.1 percent) from the field.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Kmec got the Lady Bisons on the board first before the Spartans claimed a 6-3 lead on a Gibbons 3-pointer with 4:29 to play.
- A Thorpe layup gave USC Upstate a 10-8 advantage at the 2:15 mark.
- Lipscomb closed the quarter on a 7-2 run as the Lady Bisons led 15-10 after the opening quarter.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Lipscomb opened the frame on a 14-0 run as a Kennedy Potts 3-pointer gave the hosts a 29-10 lead with 6:17 left.
- A pair of Brittney Delva free throws brought the Spartans within 12, 31-19, with 4:26 left.
- The Lady Bisons led 42-20 at halftime.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Kmec opened the second half scoring on a 3-pointer 32 seconds into the third quarter.
- Riley Popplewell's free throws followed by a Thorpe layup made the score 53-25 in favor of the hosts with just over six minutes remaining.
- Gibbons sank a 3-pointer with nine seconds remaining as USC Upstate trailed 68-44 after three quarters.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Kaylee Cotton completed a three-point play to give Lipscomb a 71-44 edge with 9:46 left.
- DeNisha Swain's jumper with 30 seconds left served as the final points of the game.
Follow Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).