Kennesaw, Ga. – Trailing 62-54 with just over seven minutes to play in the fourth quarter, the USC Upstate women's basketball team closed out the game on a 16-2 run to defeat Kennesaw State 70-64 on Saturday afternoon at the KSU Convocation Center.
USC Upstate improves to 8-15 overall and 3-5 in the ASUN Conference while Kennesaw State drops to 6-13 and 2-6.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Brittney Delva scored a career-high 22 points in the win. Delva's previous career-best was 17 points against Jacksonville on Jan. 14.
- Tamera Thorpe added 20 points, marking the fourth time this season she's finished with 20 or more points.
- Riley Popplewell added 13 points, 11 of which came in the second half.
- A'Lexxus Davis grabbed a season-high 11 rebounds.
- Carlotta Gianolla led Kennesaw State with 18 points.
- Alexis Poole recorded a double-double for the Owls with 16 points and 13 rebounds. Kamiyah Street and Clara Young finished in double-figures with 11 and 10 points respectively.
- The Spartans held a 34-30 edge in rebounds.
- USC Upstate finished 24-for-55 (44 percent) from the field. The Spartans were 19-for-22 (88 percent) at the free throw line.
- Kennesaw State went 23-for-55 (42 percent) in field goal attempts. The Owls made 15 of 21 free throw attempts (71 percent).
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- The teams traded layups in the opening 24 seconds of the game. Kennesaw State won the tip and got on the board with a Gianolla basket eight seconds into the game before Davis evened the score at the 9:36 mark.
- A pair of Gianolla free throws broke a scoring drought of four minutes for both teams.
- Janae Omusi gave the Owls an 11-5 lead following a 3-pointer with 2:43 remaining.
- The Owls led 14-11 at the end of the quarter.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Follow a Davis layup 10 seconds into the quarter that brought the Spartans within one, Kennesaw State answered with a 10-0 run for a 24-13 advantage at the 6:45 mark after Poole sank a pair of free throws.
- Delva brought the Spartans within six, 28-22, on her layup at the 4:14 mark.
- Kennesaw State pushed its lead back to double digits, 32-22, thanks to a Gianolla jumper at 3:33.
- A Davis layup cut the USC Upstate deficit to 34-26 with 1:10 remaining. Neither team would score for the remainder of the quarter.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- USC Upstate opened the third quarter on an 8-0 run as a Popplewell layup tied the contest at 34-34 with just under eight minutes to play.
- A pair of Thorpe free throws at the 6:30 mark gave USC Upstate its first lead of the day at 36-35.
- The Owls led 48-40 following a pair of Alexandra Landby free throws with 2:27 remaining.
- Young was fouled shooting a 3-pointer just before time expired but would only make one of three free throw attempts as the Owls led 58-49 heading into the fourth quarter.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Popplewell opened the scoring in the quarter with a 3-pointer at the 8:05 mark to make the score 58-52.
- After a Street jumper gave the Owls a 62-54 lead with 7:21 remaining, USC Upstate went on an 16-2 run to close out the game.
- Delva tied the game at 62-62 on a layup with 4:31 left.
- Following a Kennesaw State turnover, Morgan Williams put the Spartans ahead for good as she hit a jumper at the 3:31 mark.
- A Young layup with 18 seconds left ended a scoring drought of 7:03 for the Owls.
- A Delva free throw with 17 seconds remaining served as the final point of the game.
"This was a great team win! We kept fighting and we came back and got the win." – Tammy George, head coach.
- The Spartans welcome Lipscomb to Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center on Wednesday for a 7 p.m. matchup.
Follow USC Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).