Spartanburg, S.C. – USC Upstate junior DeNisha Swain set the Division I era single-game assist record with 12 but the Spartans were unable to hold off a hot-shooting Lipscomb squad in a 97-78 loss to the Lady Bisons on Thursday night at Allen Arena.
Lipscomb improves to 8-14 overall and 4-3 in the ASUN Conference while USC Upstate drops to 7-15 and 2-5.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Swain's 12 assists top the previous Division I era record of 11 set by Tyra Smith on Feb. 29, 2012 against Stetson. She is tied for third-most in a game in program history.
- The USC Upstate single-game assist record is 14 set by Suzanne Graham on two occasions, most recently on Jan. 11, 1986.
- A'Lexxus Davis finished with 15 points and nine rebounds, one rebound shy of her first career double-double.
- Tamera Thorpe finished in double figures with 14 points.
- Michaela Gibbons scored a career-high 13 points off the bench.
- Riley Popplewell led the Spartans with 10 rebounds.
- Lexi Manos finished with a game-high 20 points to lead Lipscomb.
- Loren Cagle (16 points) and Meredith Lovelady (13 points) each finished in double figures.
- Kennedy Potts pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds for the Lady Bisons.
- Lipscomb finished 37-for-76 (49 percent) from the field and finished 9-for-17 (53 percent) from behind the 3-point line.
- USC Upstate finished 27-for-77 (35 percent) from the field.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Rylie Parkhurst sank a 3-pointer 12 seconds into the game to open the scoring.
- A layup and jumper by Davis gave the Spartans a 7-0 lead at the 8:33 mark.
- Lipscomb pulled to within one, 7-6, on the second of two Taylor Clark free throw attempts.
- The Lady Bisons tied the game at 10 on a Cagle layup with 5:44 remaining.
- A 12-0 run allowed Lipscomb to take an 18-10 lead following a Manos layup with 2:12 left to play.
- A Thorpe layup followed by a pair of Anda Kuzmina free throws bought the Spartans within four, 18-14, with 73 seconds left.
- Lipscomb closed the quarter on a 5-0 run to lead 23-14 after the first quarter.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- After a Cagle layup gave the Lady Bisons a 25-14 lead, Thorpe sank a pair of free throws to bring the Spartans back within single digits, 25-16 with 7:37 remaining.
- Lipscomb answered with a 13-5 run, taking a 38-21 advantage thanks to a Lovelady 3-pointer with 4:24 left.
- A 3-pointer by Carleigh Short just before the buzzer sent the Lady Bisons into halftime with a 45-26 lead.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- USC Upstate opened the period on a 5-0 run thanks to a Davis layup and a Kuzmina 3-pointer to make the score 45-31.
- Lipscomb went on a 7-0 run topped with a Loshaveon Jones layup at the 6:24 mark for a 52-31 lead.
- Cagle completed the three-point play to give the hosts a 59-33 advantage with 4:07 remaining.
- Cagle's 3-pointer just before the buzzer sent Lipscomb into the final period with a 71-47 lead.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Morgan Williams' 3-pointer at the 8:46 mark made the score 75-52.
- Gibbons surpassed her previous career-high after sinking a 3-pointer with 1:29 remaining that brought the Spartans within 18, 93-75.
- Camilla Kilinc's 3-pointer with 17 seconds remaining served as the final points of the game.
- USC Upstate outscored Lipscomb 31-26 in the final quarter.
- USC Upstate travels to Kennesaw State on Saturday for a 2 p.m. contest.
Follow Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).