Spartanburg, S.C. – Rylie Parkhurst scored 10 of her 15 points in a 10-0 run to start the third quarter as USC Upstate earned a 65-61 win over Kennesaw State in ASUN women's basketball action Saturday afternoon at Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate improves to 7-14 overall and 2-4 in the league while Kennesaw State falls to 5-12 and 1-5.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Parkhurst finished in double-figures for the sixth time this season.
- DeNisha Swain finished with 13 points followed by Anda Kuzmina with 10.
- Morgan Williams had nine points while Riley Popplewell finished with seven points and a team-leading seven rebounds.
- Swain and Popplewell each grabbed a season-high four steals.
- Carlotta Gianolla scored 15 points to pace Kennesaw State.
- Clara Young and Kamiyah Street each scored 14 points for the Owls. Street just missed a double-double with a game-high nine rebounds.
- The Owls held a 38-32 edge in rebounds.
- USC Upstate scored 21 points off of 18 Kennesaw State turnovers. Kennesaw State converted 16 Spartan turnovers into 12 points.
- Kennesaw State went 25-for-53 (47.2 percent) from the field. USC Upstate finished 23-for-60 (38.3 percent) from the field.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Kennesaw State opened the game on an 8-0 run, prompting a Spartan timeout at the 7:45 mark.
- A'Lexxus Davis got the Spartans on the board with a layup four minutes into the period.
- A layup by Alexis Poole at the 3:40 mark gave the Owls a 16-6 lead, their largest of the quarter.
- Consecutive 3-pointers by Kuzmina and Williams brought the Spartans within four, 16-12, with 2:37 remaining.
- Kennesaw State led 18-15 at the end of the period.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- A 3-pointer by Swain tied the game at 20-20 with 7:27 left.
- Three straight field goals gave the Owls a 26-20 lead at the 5:06 mark.
- Michaela Gibbons sank a 3-pointer with just over two seconds left as the Spartans went into halftime trailing 28-27.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Parkhurst sank a pair of 3-pointers and a layup that gave the Spartans a 35-28 edge and prompted a Kennesaw State timeout with 8:32 remaining.
- Following a Parkhurst layup that gave the Spartans a 37-28 lead, Kennesaw State trimmed the USC Upstate lead to 37-35 on a Street layup at the 6:11 mark.
- Popplewell made her first career 3-pointer with 5:13 left to give the hosts a 40-36 lead.
- Following a Lexi Mann layup that gave the Owls a 43-42 advantage, the Spartans pulled ahead on layups by Popplewell and Swain.
- The Spartans led 49-45 as a last second shot by Swain fell short.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Williams sank a 3-pointer to give the hosts a 52-45 lead at the 8:54 mark.
- Mann made the second of two free throw attempts to bring the Owls within five, 54-49, with 6:07 left.
- A Swain free throw with two minutes remaining gave the hosts a 60-52 advantage.
- Young's free throw with 70 seconds left brought the Owls within five, 60-55. Tamera Thorpe pushed the Spartan lead back to six as she made the second of two free throws on the next USC Upstate possession.
- Breanna Hoover sank a 3-pointer with 10 seconds remaining for the final points of the game. Hoover missed a layup on Kennesaw State's final possession with one second remaining.
- USC Upstate opens a two-game road trip on Thursday as the Spartans travel to Lipscomb for a 7:30 p.m. Eastern Time matchup.
Follow Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).