Spartanburg, S.C. – Rylie Parkhurst scored a career-high 17 points as USC Upstate defeated Bob Jones 79-45 in non-conference action on Thursday evening at the G.B. Hodge Center.
Upstate improves to 2-6 while Bob Jones falls to 3-6.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- The 79 points and 11 3-point field goals are season-highs for the Spartans.
- Upstate's 11 3-point field goals are tied for second-most in a single game during the Division I era and tied for third-most for a single game in program history.
- Parkhurst's 17 points surpassed her previous career high of 15 set against Converse on Nov. 21.
- In addition to Parkhurst, Diamon Shiflet (10 points), Camilla Kilinc (nine points) and Michaela Gibbons (six points) tied career-highs.
- Tamera Thorpe led the Spartans with seven rebounds.
- Rachel Clark led Bob Jones with seven points.
- Kylee Leffew grabbed a game-high eight rebounds for the Bruins.
- Upstate outscored Bob Jones 49-21 in the second half.
- Upstate's bench outscored the Bob Jones reserves 41-23.
- The Spartans finished 29-for-79 (36.7 percent) from the field while Bob Jones was 16-for-60 (26.7 percent).
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- The game was scoreless until the 8:20 mark when Sha'Ron Brunson sank a pair of free throws to give the Bruins a 2-0 lead.
- Sydney Bedsaul gave the Bruins a 5-2 lead thanks to her 3-pointer with 5:42 to play.
- Parkhurst made four straight 3-pointers, giving the Spartans a 16-10 edge with 2:39 remaining.
- Faith Hart completed the three-point play to bring the Bruins within one, 16-15, at the end of the first quarter.
- Parkhurst scored 12 of Upstate's 16 points in the frame.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Kilinc gave Upstate a 19-15 lead on a 3-pointer 15 seconds into the quarter.
- Bob Jones pulled to within two, 23-21, as Leffew hit a jumper with just under seven minutes remaining.
- Kilinc completed the three-point play with 5:50 on the clock, giving Upstate a 28-21 advantage.
- Upstate led 30-24 at halftime as neither team scored during the final 4:25 of the quarter.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Upstate opened the period on a 5-0 run for a 35-24 lead inside of the first three minutes.
- A pair of Gibbons layups on consecutive possessions prompted a Bob Jones timeout as Upstate led 39-28 with just over five minutes remaining.
- Following a Clark jumper that made the score 43-30 at the 3:52 mark, Upstate closed the quarter on a 13-0 run for a 56-30 lead.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Julia Simmons' layup at the 8:45 mark ended a 15-0 Upstate run as the Spartans led 58-32.
- The Spartans enjoyed a 35-point lead, their largest of the game, on a Morgan Williams 3-pointer that made the score 73-38 in favor of the hosts with 4:12 remaining.
- Shiflet's layup with 1:34 remaining was the final basket of the game.
- Upstate welcomes Furman to the Hodge Center on Sunday. Tip-off is scheduled for 2 p.m.
Follow Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).
Score Graphic Photo Credit: Carin Goodall-Gosnell/PortraitsByCarin.com