Columbia, S.C. – The USC Upstate men's soccer team continued its road trip on Saturday evening dropping a 2-0 decision to the South Carolina Gamecocks at Stone Stadium.
USC Upstate falls to 3-9-1 on the season while South Carolina improves to 4-9 overall.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Gamecocks held a 17-12 advantage over the Spartans in shots including 13-5 in attempts on goal.
- USC Upstate led 7-4 in corner kicks and 11-5 in saves.
- Cam Philpot, Ricky Maldonado and Francis Eto led the Spartans offensively with two shots each while Philpot added two attempts on goal.
- Mitchell Myers and Luca Mayr both scored for South Carolina while Jared Gulden added an assist.
- Myers, Mayr, Tucker Monheimer and Petter Soelberg each had three shots.
- Andrea Bonavia finished with double-digit saves for the third time this season after tying his career-high of 11.
- Gamecock goalies Justin Bauer and Ian McGrane combined for five saves.
SOUTH CAROLINA GOALS
- Myers gave South Carolina a 1-0 lead in the 50th minute after scoring far post off a one-on-one opportunity. (USC Upstate 0, South Carolina 1)
- Mayr added to the Gamecocks lead at 2-0 in the 52nd minute with his diving header from a pass by Gulden. (USC Upstate 0, South Carolina 2)
- USC Upstate travels to Charlotte, N.C. on Tuesday, Oct. 23 for a 7 p.m. kickoff against the Charlotte 49ers.
Follow USC Upstate men's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).