Macon, Ga. – Martin Skaiaa recorded his first career goal on Tuesday evening as the USC Upstate men's soccer team fell 3-2 in non-conference play to the Mercer Bears at Betts Stadium.
USC Upstate falls to 2-8 on the season while Mercer improves to 8-2-2 overall.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Bears held a 23-16 advantage over the Spartans in shots including a 10-6 mark in attempts on goal.
- Mercer also led 10-5 in corner kicks.
- The Spartans finished the game with seven saves while the Bears had four.
- Skaiiaa collected his first collegiate goal for USC Upstate.
- Cam Philpot attempted a team-high five shots while Francis Eto added three attempts on goal.
- Leo Toledo Jr., Emmet Johnson and Michael Ille all scored for Mercer.
- Kobe Perez dished out two assists while Trevor Martineau and Jake Mezei each had one.
- Toledo Jr. took a team-leading six shots while Ille had four attempts on goal.
- CJ Cluck grabbed a season-high six saves.
- Bears goalie JR DeRose finished with four saves.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Skaiaa put the Spartans ahead 1-0 in the 15th minute scoring from 30 yards away. (USC Upstate 1, Mercer 0)
- USC Upstate evened the game in the 52nd minute off an own goal. (USC Upstate 2, Mercer 2)
- Toledo Jr. tied the game for Mercer in the 27th minute with Martineau receiving the assist. (USC Upstate 1, Mercer 1)
- Ille put the Bears ahead in the 50th minute off the assist from Perez. (USC Upstate 1, Mercer 2)
- Johnson scored the game-winner in the 80th minute as both Mezei and Perez were credited with the assist. (USC Upstate 2, Mercer 3)
- The Spartans return to County University Soccer Stadium on Saturday evening to host Presbyterian College at 7 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate men's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).