Conway, S.C. – Cam Philpot scored once while Sebastian Quinteros dished out an assist as the USC Upstate men's soccer team suffered a 5-1 non-conference setback to the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers on Saturday evening at CCU Soccer Stadium.
USC Upstate falls to 2-7 on the season while Coastal Carolina improves to 5-3 overall.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Chanticleers held a 20-12 advantage in shots and 11-6 in attempts on goal.
- The Spartans led 8-5 in corner kicks and 6-5 in saves.
- Philpot recorded his team-leading fourth goal of the season and led USC Upstate offensively with four shots.
- Quinteros dished out his second assist of the year and is now tied for first on the team along with Francis Eto.
- Tyrone Mondi scored two goals for Coastal Carolina while Tsiki Ntsabeleng, Yazeed Matthews and Ryan Willoughby registered one goal.
- Matthews added two assists while Ntsabeleng, Jeranimo Power and Paul Odendahl had one apiece.
- Matthews attempted a team-leading seven shots.
- Andrea Bonavia finished the game with six saves.
- Chanticleer goalie Chris Datallo contributed five saves.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Philpot put the Spartans ahead 1-0 in the 14th minute with Quinteros getting credit for the assist. (USC Upstate 1, Coastal Carolina 0)
COASTAL CAROLINA GOALS
- Ntsabeleng tied the game for Coastal Carolina in the 26th minute off a give-and-go from Matthews. (USC Upstate 1, Coastal Carolina 1)
- Mondi gave the Chanticleers a 2-1 lead in the 41st minute after a pass from Matthews. (USC Upstate 1, Coastal Carolina 2)
- Coastal Carolina would go ahead by two goals in the 53rd minute after Matthews found the back of the net following a pass from Ntsabeleng. (USC Upstate 1, Coastal Carolina 3)
- Willoughby made it 4-1 in favor of the Chanticleers in the 62nd minute with Power picking up the assist. (USC Upstate 1, Coastal Carolina 4)
- Mondi added his second goal in the 64th minute with Odendahl receiving the assist. (USC Upstate 1, Coastal Carolina 5)
- USC Upstate travels to Macon, Ga. on Tuesday, Oct. 9 for a non-conference game against Mercer at 7 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate men's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).