Rock Hill, S.C. – Cam Philpot scored two second half goals on Tuesday evening as the USC Upstate men's soccer team rallied to defeat the Winthrop Eagles 4-3 in Big South action at Eagle Field.
USC Upstate improves to 2-5 on the season and 2-3 in conference play while Winthrop drops to 1-5 overall and 0-1 in the league.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Spartans held a 20-14 advantage over the Eagles in shots while forcing the home team into eight offsides.
- Winthrop led 11-8 in attempts on goal and 7-6 in corner kicks.
- USC Upstate collected eight saves and the Eagles had four.
- Philpot came off the bench to lead the Spartans offensively with two goals, his second and third of the season, on four shots. It marks the first career multi-goal game for the senior at USC Upstate.
- Sebastian Quinteros and Francis Eto both took three shots.
- Anson Girone and Ricky Maldonado both scored their first goals of the season.
- Girone, Eto and Josh Salinas each dished out one assist.
- Alfie Rogers led the Eagles with four shots while scoring once.
- Leif Estevez and Andres Carvajal contributed one goal apiece.
- Estevez, Carvajal and Marc Carreras added one assist.
- Andrea Bonavia grabbed a season-high eight saves for the Spartans.
- Jack Pondy tallied four saves.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Girone cut USC Upstate's deficit down to 2-1 in the 28th minute as his attempted cross led to a goal scoring back post. (USC Upstate 1, Winthrop 2)
- Maldonado tied the game at 2-2 in the 40th minute with Salinas getting the assist. A free kick from Salinas back post allowed Maldonado's header to go past Pondy into the right corner of the net. (USC Upstate 2, Winthrop 2)
- Philpot gave the Spartans their first lead of the game in the 70th minute with his header off the assist from Girone. (USC Upstate 3, Winthrop 2)
- Philpot scored his second goal in the 76th minute to extend USC Upstate's lead to two. Eto's initial attempt was saved by Pondy but Philpot followed with the rebound. (USC Upstate 4, Winthrop 2)
- Carvajal put Winthrop ahead in the 12th minute off a corner kick assist from Estevez. (USC Upstate 0, Winthrop 1)
- Estevez added to the Eagles lead in the 14th minute scoring from 30 yards away. (USC Upstate 0, Winthrop 2)
- Rogers made it a one-goal contest in the 84th minute scoring on a through ball from Carvajal and Carreras. (USC Upstate 4, Winthrop 3)
- The Spartans return home to County University Soccer Stadium on Tuesday, Oct. 2 and hosts Furman at 7 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate men's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).