Boiling Springs, N.C. – The USC Upstate men's soccer team dropped a 3-0 road decision in conference play to the Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs on Wednesday evening at Greene-Harbison Stadium.
USC Upstate falls to 1-3 overall and 1-2 in the conference while Gardner-Webb improves to 1-4-1 on the season and 1-0 in league play.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Runnin' Bulldogs held a 14-6 advantage in shots including 8-3 in attempts on goal.
- Gardner-Webb also led 6-2 in corner kicks.
- The Spartans had a 5-3 lead in saves.
- Cam Philpot led USC Upstate offensively with four shots highlighted by two on goal.
- Javier Torres and Francis Eto both had one shot.
- Jack Hoey scored twice for the Runnin' Bulldogs while Oskar Wang recorded one goal and one assist.
- Hoey and Mads Rismoen had a team-leading three shots.
- Andrea Bonavia grabbed a season-high five saves.
- GWU's Daniel Husa contributed three saves.
- Hoey scored his first goal of the game in the 20th minute from the left side as Wang was credited with the assist. (USC Upstate 0, Gardner-Webb 1)
- Hoey added his second goal during the 53rd minute after scoring from the right side. (USC Upstate 0, Gardner-Webb 2)
- Wang followed in the 68th minute and put Gardner-Webb ahead 3-0 with his free kick from 20 yards away. (USC Upstate 0, Gardner-Webb 3)
- The Spartans head to Rock Hill, S.C. on Saturday, Sept. 15 for a 7 p.m. kickoff in conference play against Winthrop.
Follow USC Upstate men's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).