Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate men's soccer team opened the home portion of its schedule on Tuesday evening falling to the Campbell Camels 7-1 in Big South play from County University Soccer Stadium.
USC Upstate falls to 1-2 on the season and 1-1 in conference play while Campbell improves to 2-2 overall and 1-0 in the league.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Camels held a 17-10 advantage over the Spartans in shots and 11-4 in attempts on goal.
- USC Upstate led 4-3 in saves.
- Both teams attempted seven corner kicks apiece.
- Jaedon Williamson took a team-high three shots for the Spartans while Joel Bunting, Cam Philpot, Erik Espinoza and Francis Eto all had one attempt on goal.
- JJ Donnelly had a game-high six shots for Campbell and took three attempts on goal along with Thibaut Jacquel.
- Bunting scored his first goal of the season while Espinoza dished out his first assist.
- Jacquel came off the bench for the Camels and registered two goals and one assist.
- Donnelly, Josh Signey, Matt Lock and Aigbekan Nosegbe each scored once.
- Donnelly, Bastien Oberli and Humberto Chavez contributed one assist apiece.
- Andrea Bonavia grabbed a season-high four saves.
- Samuel Lechuga collected three saves.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Bunting gave USC Upstate an early 1-0 lead in the 16th minute off a corner kick. Williamson got the play started with his corner kick far side to Espinoza. Espinoza followed with a bicycle kick to Bunting and allowed him to score near side. (Campbell 0, USC Upstate 1)
- Donnelly evened the game for Campbell in the 41st minute off a cross from Jacquel. The cross from Jacquel inside the 18-yard box went to the middle of the field for Donnelly who scored sliding in front of the goal. (Campbell 1, USC Upstate 1)
- The Camels took a 2-1 lead just before halftime in the 43rd minute on an own goal by the Spartans. (Campbell 2, USC Upstate 1)
- Jacquel recorded the first of his two goals in the 48th minute to extend Campbell's lead to 3-1. Jacquel got possession of the ball off a failed clear by USC Upstate and scored over the head of Bonavia. (Campbell 3, USC Upstate 1)
- Jacquel picked up his second goal in the 65th minute off a cross from 27 yards away by Donnelly. Jacquel scored back post on a one-timer. (Campbell 4, USC Upstate 1)
- Nosegbe followed four minutes later in the 69th minute scoring after two straight shot attempts. His first attempt was saved by Bonavia but followed with the rebound far side. (Campbell 5, USC Upstate 1)
- Signey extended the lead in the 78th minute off an assist from Oberli. Oberli crossed the ball outside the 18-yard box near side and Signey scored in front of the goal. (Campbell 6, USC Upstate 1)
- Lock and Chavez combined for a goal in the 85th minute when Lock received Chavez's pass from 25 yards out. He dribbled to the outside of the 18-yard box and scored near side. (Campbell 7, USC Upstate 1)
- The Spartans are off until Wednesday, Sept. 12 when they remain in conference play traveling to Gardner-Webb for a 7 p.m. kickoff.
Follow USC Upstate men's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).