Boiling Springs, N.C. – The USC Upstate men's soccer team closed out the non-conference portion of its schedule on Tuesday evening by falling 6-1 to the Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs at Greene-Harbison Stadium.
Upstate falls to 2-9-2 on the season while Gardner-Webb improves to 6-5-1 overall.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Runnin' Bulldogs held a 20-9 advantage over the Spartans in shots and 12-5 in attempts on goal.
- Upstate led 6-4 in saves.
- Cam Philpot scored his team-leading fourth goal of the season and was one of five players to have one shot on goal for the Spartans.
- Magnus Moldjord had two goals and one assist to lead the Gardner-Webb offense while Marc-Kevin Schwenk dished out two assists.
- The Runnin' Bulldogs also received goals from Simen Olsen, Severin Soerlie, Ismael Guerrero and David Koloko. Soerlie, Koloko and Oskar Wang also had one assist each.
- Jaedon Williamson came off the bench to attempt a team-high three shots for Upstate.
- Guerrero and Moldjord took four shots apiece for Gardner-Webb.
- Spartans goalie CJ Cluck finished the game with six saves, falling one shy of matching his season-high.
- Runnin' Bulldog goalkeeper Jacob Beyer grabbed four saves.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Philpot got Upstate on the scoreboard in the 56th minute after receiving a through ball and scoring past Beyer from just inside the 18-yard box. (USC Upstate 1, Gardner-Webb 4)
- Guerrero scored the game's first goal in the 20th minute as he found the back of the net off a cross from Wang. (USC Upstate 0, Gardner-Webb 1)
- Olsen increased the Gardner-Webb lead to 2-0 in the 27th minute off a corner kick. Schwenk took the corner kick and Olsen's header went past Cluck. (USC Upstate 0, Gardner-Webb 2)
- Koloko added a goal in the 28th minute scoring on a rebound following a corner kick. (USC Upstate 0, Gardner-Webb 3)
- Moldjord made the score 4-0 for the Runnin' Bulldogs in the 46th minute capitalizing on a one-on-one opportunity. (USC Upstate 0, Gardner-Webb 4)
- Soerlie converted from 16 yards out in the 63rd minute on a cross by Moldjord. (USC Upstate 1, Gardner-Webb 5)
- Moldjord added his second goal of the game in the 79th minute after scoring from 18 yards away. Schwenk was given the assist. (USC Upstate 1, Gardner-Webb 6)
- The Spartans play their final home game of the season on Saturday, Oct. 21 at 7 p.m. hosting Florida Gulf Coast on Senior Night.
Follow Upstate men's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).