Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate men's soccer team dropped a 2-0 decision at home to the Stetson Hatters on Saturday evening in ASUN action from County University Soccer Stadium.
Upstate falls to 2-7-1 on the season and 0-3 in conference play while Stetson improves to 5-4 overall and 3-0 in the league.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Hatters held a 15-11 advantage over the Spartans in shots while Upstate led 5-4 in shots on goal.
- The Spartans also held a 7-6 lead in corner kicks.
- Cam Philpot led Upstate offensively with three shots while five different players registered one attempt on goal.
- Deniz Dogan scored both goals for Stetson and finished the match with four shots including two on goal.
- Daniel O'Brien added one assist and took four shots.
- Spartans goalie CJ Cluck concluded the match with two saves while Hatters goalkeeper Joseph Melong had five.
- Dogan scored his first goal of the match in the 17th minute off a free kick near side from 25 yards away. (Stetson 1, USC Upstate 0)
- Dogan extended Stetson's lead to 2-0 just before the end of the contest in the 88th minute off a rebound. O'Brien's initial attempt hit off the post and Dogan was there for the put back goal. (Stetson 2, USC Upstate 0)
- Upstate begins a three-game road trip next Saturday, Oct. 7 at 7 p.m. against Jacksonville.
Follow Upstate men's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).