Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate men's soccer team suffered a 4-0 setback in its ASUN home opener on Saturday evening to the Lipscomb Bisons at County University Soccer Stadium.
Upstate falls to 2-6-1 on the season and 0-2 in conference play while Lipscomb improves to 5-3 overall and 1-0 in the league.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Spartans held a 12-10 advantage over the Bisons in shots and 8-3 in corner kicks.
- Lipscomb led 6-4 in attempts on goal.
- Sebastian Quinteros came off the bench to lead Upstate offensively with three shots and was one of four players, along with Cam Philpot, Florian Langenegger and JR Cozine to have one shot on goal.
- Malik Shaheed attempted a team-high three shots for the Bisons and Ivan Sakou contributed one shot on goal.
- Logan Paynter led Lipscomb with three points on one goal and one assist in the contest.
- Kyle Smith dished out two assists, and Sakou, Ihaia Delaney and Ivan Alvarado each scored a goal.
- CJ Cluck finished with one save for the Spartans while Bisons goalie Christopher Zappia grabbed three saves.
- Paynter gave Lipscomb a 1-0 lead with his goal in the 7th minute. The initial shot by Smith was deflected off the Upstate defense and Paynter headed the rebound over the head of Cluck. (USC Upstate 0, Lipscomb 1)
- Sakou put the Bisons in front 2-0 following his goal in the 57th minute of play. Smith picked up his second assist after his cross back to the middle of the field found the sliding Sakou and scored from just outside the six-yard box. (USC Upstate 0, Lipscomb 2)
- Alvarado made it a 3-0 contest for Lipscomb in the 68th minute. Paynter's through ball past the Spartan defense found an open Alvarado and scored with a one-on-one chance. (USC Upstate 0, Lipscomb 3)
- Delaney's penalty kick in the 87th minute capped the Bisons scoring and extended their lead to 4-0. (USC Upstate 0, Lipscomb 4)
- Upstate remains at home next Saturday, Sept. 30 when it hosts Stetson at 7 p.m.
Follow Upstate men's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).