Hillside, N.J. – Ryan Herbert scored his first career goal for USC Upstate on Wednesday afternoon but the Spartan men's soccer team fell in their first conference match of the season 2-1 to the NJIT Highlanders at Kean University East Campus Facility.
Upstate falls to 2-5-1 overall and 0-1 in the conference while NJIT improves to 6-1-2 on the season and 1-0 in league play.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Highlanders held a 13-10 advantage over the Spartans in shots including 7-6 in shots on goal.
- NJIT also led 9-6 in corner kicks.
- Both teams totaled five saves in the contest.
- Herbert came off the bench to score his first career goal at Upstate while Sebastian Quinteros also dished out his first collegiate assist.
- Mamadou Guirassy and Thomas Radon each scored for the Highlanders, and Nicholas Kozdron and Pablo Jimenez tallied assists.
- Cam Philpot and Anson Girone led the Spartans offensively with two shots apiece and were two of six Upstate players to record one attempt on goal.
- Guirassy attempted a team-high six shots and three shots on goal for NJIT.
- Santiago Restrepo and CJ Cluck combined for five saves.
- Highlander goalie Victor Pujades also grabbed five saves.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Herbert cut Upstate's deficit down to 2-1 in the 77th minute off a pass from Quinteros. Hamilton Gmah deflected a pass to Quinteros who placed a through ball to Herbert from just outside the 18-yard box. Herbert would score near side from eight yards out. (USC Upstate 1, NJIT 2)
- Guirassy put NJIT in front of the Spartans 1-0 in the 39th minute of action. Following a clear by the Highlander defense, Guirassy gained possession of the ball around midfield. He dribbled through the Upstate defense and scored from eight yards away far side. (USC Upstate 0, NJIT 1)
- Radon extended NJIT's lead to 2-0 during the 75th minute. Kozdron's through ball past the Upstate defense allowed Radon possession. Radon took a couple of dribbles and scored from 20 yards out. (USC Upstate 0, NJIT 2)
- The Spartans return to County University Soccer Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 23 at 7 p.m. against Lipscomb.
Follow Upstate men's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).