High Point, N.C. – The USC Upstate men's soccer team picked up its first tie of the season on Saturday evening after playing the High Point Panthers to a 1-1 draw in non-conference play at Vert Stadium.
Upstate moves to 2-4-1 on the season while High Point is 2-2-2 overall.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Panthers held a 14-8 advantage over the Spartans in shots including 6-2 in attempts on goal.
- Upstate led 8-6 in corner kicks and 5-1 in saves.
- Michaelangelo Dovidio scored his first goal of the season for the Spartans while Jaedon Williamson earned an assist.
- For High Point, Hunter Allen tallied a goal on an assist from Johnny Fenwick.
- Dovidio led Upstate offensively with three shots and, as well as JR Cozine, had one shot on goal.
- Ryan Inman posted a team-high three shots for the Panthers and was one of six players who attempted one shot on goal.
- Santiago Restrepo finished the match with five saves.
- High Point goalie Pat Fallon grabbed one save.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Dovidio put the Spartans ahead 1-0 in the 68th minute with his header. Upstate had a free kick far side from just past midfield and Williamson placed the ball just outside the six-yard box. Dovidio snuck behind the Panther defense and scored near side. (USC Upstate 1, High Point 0)
HIGH POINT GOALS
- High Point responded in the 74th minute as Allen's goal tied the game at 1-1. Allen recorded the equalizer off a header from Fenwick's free kick. (USC Upstate 1, High Point 1)
- Upstate begins ASUN play on Wednesday, Sept. 20 at 1 p.m. on the road against NJIT.
Follow Upstate men's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).