Ninety Six, S.C. – The USC Upstate men's golf team, behind a record-setting performance in birdies and eagles, carded rounds of 286 and 287 to finish the stroke play portion of the Big South Men's Golf Championship in second place on Thursday from the par 72, 7120-yard The Patriot Golf Club at Grand Harbor.
USC Upstate had a combined score of 870 (297-286-287) in stroke play and is one of four teams to advance to the match play portion of the Big South Men's Golf Championship on Friday. The Spartans will be the No. 2 seed and are joined by No. 42 Campbell, Gardner-Webb and Winthrop.
Campbell led all teams in stroke play with a total score of 838. Jesper Svensson of Campbell finished first on the individual leaderboard at 9-under par 207.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- Based on records available, today marked the first time in program history that USC Upstate posted back-to-back under-par rounds on the same day.
- The Spartans combined to record 36 birdies and two eagles on Thursday.
- Warnock and Bedell teamed up to shoot a combined 9-under par with Warnock at 5-under and Bedell 4-under.
- USC Upstate had four players finish inside the top-15 and two 10th or better.
- Bedell led the Spartans individually shooting a 68 and 72 to record a sixth-place finish at 1-under 215 (75-68-72).
- Warnock had rounds of 69 and 70 and posted a tie for seventh place performance, two strokes behind Bedell, with a 217 (78-69-70).
- Matt Carter recorded a 73 and 75 to post a finish of tied for 13th with a combined score of 220 (72-73-75).
- Hunter Fry finished one stroke behind Carter after contributing rounds of 78-70 to finish in 15th place at 221 (73-78-70).
- Sun Paripunna rounded out the individual standings for USC Upstate in 38th place, with rounds of 76 and 81 on Thursday, at 234 (77-76-81).
- The Spartans concluded stroke play with a 3.13 stroke average in par 3 scoring, 4.17 stroke average in par 4 scoring and 7-under, 4.88 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- USC Upstate also recorded 159 pars, 45 birdies and three eagles.
- The Spartans ranked tied for first at the tournament in eagles, second in par 3 scoring, par 5 scoring and birdies, and were third in par 4 scoring and pars.
- Bedell ranked tied for second among the tournament field with a team-leading even-par, 3.00 stroke average in par 3 scoring.
- Carter led the team in par 4 scoring with a 4.07 stroke average.
- Warnock was tied for fifth in par 5 scoring at 4-under with a 4.67 stroke average.
- Carter contributed a 1-under, 4.92 stroke average in par 5 scoring while Fry was at even-par with a 5.00 stroke average.
- Bedell had a team-high 36 pars and 11 birdies.
- Fry tied for the tournament-lead with two eagles.
- Warnock added one eagle.
- Fry and Warnock both had 10 birdies while Carter had eight and Paripunna six.
- 1st No. 42 Campbell 278-274-286=838
- 2nd USC Upstate 297-286-287=870
- 3rd Gardner-Webb 293-289-291=873
- 4th Winthrop 306-288-293=887
- 5th High Point 310-300-293=903
- 6th Radford 310-294-303=907
- 7th Longwood 296-314-299=909
- 8th Charleston Southern 314-298-305=917
- 9th Hampton 311-308-320=939
- 10th Presbyterian 312-313-319=944
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- 6th Reid Bedell 75-68-72=215
- T-7th Jordan Warnock 78-69-70=217
- T-13th Matt Carter 72-73-75=220
- 15th Hunter Fry 73-78-70=221
- 38th Sun Paripunna 77-76-81=234
- USC Upstate tees off at 9:05 a.m. on Friday morning against No. 3 seed Gardner-Webb to begin match play.
- Paripunna begins the match at 9:05 a.m. with Fry (9:13 a.m.), Carter (9:21 a.m.), Redell (9:29 a.m.) and Warnock (9:37 a.m.) to follow.
Follow USC Upstate men's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).