Athens, Ga. – Reid Bedell and Matt Carter both recorded top-10 finishes on Monday as the USC Upstate men's golf team placed in a tie for fifth at the Southern Intercollegiates from the par 72, 6917-yard Athens Country Club.
USC Upstate compiled a total score of 593 (300-293) and finished in a tie for fifth place out of 18 teams with No. 82 Kennesaw State and No. 89 Western Kentucky. The Spartans also finished higher in the team standings than No. 102 UNC Wilmington.
No. 17 South Carolina captured the Southern Intercollegiates team championship with a combined score of 562. Will Miles of South Carolina won individual medalist honors after shooting 8-under par 136.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- Bedell and Carter both recorded total scores of 1-over par 145 to lead USC Upstate individually finishing in a tie for 10th place.
- Bedell registered rounds of 74-71 and Carter 73-72.
- Jordan Warnock finished four strokes back of Bedell and Carter in a tie for 22nd place at 149 (75-74).
- Hunter Fry and Sun Paripunna rounded out the individual standings tied for 56th with a total score of 156.
- Fry tallied rounds of 78-78 and Paripunna 80-76.
- The Spartans finished the tournament with a 3.45 stroke average in par 3 scoring, 4.16 stroke average in par 4 scoring and 3-under, 4.93 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- USC Upstate also recorded 99 pars and 28 birdies.
- The Spartans ranked tied for third among the tournament field in birdies and fourth in par 4 scoring.
- Carter led the tournament in par 3 scoring at even-par with a 3.00 stroke average.
- Bedell ranked first among the tournament field with a 3-under, 3.85 stroke average in par 4 scoring.
- Warnock and Carter both led the team in par 5 scoring at 3-under with a 4.63 stroke average.
- Fry also finished at even-par on par 5 holes with a 5.00 stroke average.
- Carter had a team-high 22 pars.
- Bedell was tied for fourth at the tournament with eight birdies.
- Carter contributed seven birdies, Warnock six, Fry four and Paripunna three.
- 1st No. 17 South Carolina 284-278=562
- 2nd Wofford 292-290=582
- 3rd No. 14 Georgia 296-289=585
- 4th Gardner-Webb 300-292=592
- T-5th USC Upstate 300-293=593
- T-5th No. 82 Kennesaw State 294-299=593
- T-5th No. 89 Western Kentucky 301-292=593
- 8th North Alabama 304-298=602
- 9th No. 102 UNC Wilmington 303-305=608
- 10th Youngstown State 313-298=611
- 11th No. 14 Georgia 309-306=615
- 12th North Georgia 310-306=616
- 13th Savannah State 319-300=619
- T-14th Central Arkansas 318-304=622
- T-14th Western Carolina 315-307=622
- T-16th Nicholls State 314-313=627
- T-16th Francis Marion 311-316=627
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- T-10th Matt Carter 74-71=145
- T-10th Reid Bedell 73-72=145
- T-22nd Jordan Warnock 75-74=149
- T-56th Hunter Fry 78-78=156
- T-56th Sun Paripunna 80-76=156
- The 2019 Big South Men's Golf Championship is being held April 17-20 at the Patriot Golf Club in Ninety Six, S.C.
Follow USC Upstate men's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).