Nashville, Tenn. – The USC Upstate men's golf team carded a tournament-low score of 281 on Tuesday and moved up three spots in the tournament standings to win the Ryman Hospitality Intercollegiate from par 71, 6943-yard Richland Country Club.
USC Upstate captured its second tournament victory of the season after winning the Camden Collegiate Invitational during the fall.
The Spartans won the Ryman Hospitality Intercollegiate by three strokes over Southern Mississippi with a combined score of 573 (292-281). Brian Richards of Southern Mississippi captured individual medalist honors at 5-under 137.
"A strong comeback by posting the low round for the tournament as a team," said head coach Todd Lawton. "The golf course is always a solid challenge and one that doesn't yield many under-par rounds individually or as a team. I am proud of these guys and Coach Taylor's work to bring home the second win of the year."
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- Jordan Warnock was the top individual performer for USC Upstate tying his career-low score of 67 and recorded his fourth career top-5 performance finishing in second place at 139 (72-67).
- Matt Carter posted his second straight round of 71 and collected his fourth top-10 finish this season placing in a tie for seventh with a combined score of 142 (71-71).
- Hunter Fry posted a career-low round of 69 and registered his first career top-10 finish tying with Carter for seventh place at 142 (73-69).
- Reid Bedell placed in a tie for 33rd position after a final round 74 gave him a total score of 151 (77-74).
- Sun Paripunna, who had a final round 77, rounds out the individual standings in a tie for 47th place with a score of 153 (76-77).
- Playing as an individual, Sam Merrell had a final round 81 and finished in a tie for 63rd place at 156 (75-81).
- The Spartans concluded the tournament with a 3.10 stroke average in par 3 scoring, 4.19 stroke average in par 4 scoring and 5-under, 4.88 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- USC Upstate finished second in both par 3 scoring and par 4 scoring, and fourth in par 5 scoring.
- The Spartans tied for the tournament-lead with 29 birdies and were second with 111 pars.
- Carter led the tournament with 28 pars and Warnock was first with 11 birdies.
- Fry tied for first among the tournament field in par 5 scoring at 5-under with a 4.38 stroke average.
- Warnock and Paripunna were both tied for third in par 3 scoring and par 4 scoring, respectively.
- Warnock had a 1-under, 2.90 stroke average in par 3 scoring while Paripunna had an even-par, 4.00 stroke average in par 4 scoring.
- Warnock, Carter and Bedell all finished at even-par or better on par 5 holes.
- Warnock contributed a 3-under, 4.63 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- Carter had a 2-under, 4.75 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- Bedell tallied an even-par, 5.00 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- Fry compiled seven birdies, Bedell five, Merrell and Carter four apiece, and Paripunna two.
- 1st USC Upstate 292-281=573
- 2nd Southern Mississippi 289-287=576
- 3rd Samford 285-297=582
- 4th Lipscomb 297-289=586
- 5th Austin Peay 295-292=587
- 6th Bradley 286-302=588
- 7th North Alabama 296-293=589
- 8th Bowling Green 296-302=598
- T-9th Belmont 295-304=599
- T-9th Omaha 292-307=599
- 11th Xavier 296-306=602
- 12th Florida Gulf Coast 308-299=607
- 13th North Dakota State 304-305=609
- 14th Loyola-Chicago 299-314=613
- 15th Stetson 310-307=617
- 16th Lipscomb 316-316=632
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- 2nd Jordan Warnock 72-67=139
- T-7th Matt Carter 71-71=142
- T-7th Hunter Fry 73-69=142
- T-33rd Reid Bedell 77-74=151
- T-47th Sun Paripunna 76-77=153
- T-63rd Sam Merrell 75-81=156 (Playing as an individual)
- The Spartans travel to Athens, Ga. on Monday, April 15 for the Southern Intercollegiates.
Follow USC Upstate men's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).