Nashville, Tenn. – Matt Carter had a first round even-par 71 on Monday and sits in a tie for seventh place to lead the USC Upstate men's golf team after day one of the rain-shortened Ryman Hospitality Intercollegiate from the par 71, 6943-yard Richland Country Club.
Due to inclement weather throughout the morning, tournament officials have condensed the tournament to 36 holes consisting of 18 each day.
USC Upstate posted an opening round score of 292 and is currently tied for fourth place with Omaha. The Spartans are seven strokes behind day one leader Samford.
Samford leads the Ryman Hospitality Intercollegiate after shooting a first round 295. Charles Jahn of Bradley sits atop the individual leaderboard by one stroke at 3-under par 68.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- Carter was the top individual performer for USC Upstate shooting an opening round 71 and is tied for seventh sitting three strokes behind the tournament leader.
- Jordan Warnock is one stroke behind Carter in a tie for 13th place at 72.
- Hunter Fry posted a first round 73 and presently sits in a tie for 20th place.
- Sun Paripunna and Reid Bedell round out the individual leaderboard in a tie for 45th and 53rd places, respectively.
- Paripunna carded a first round 76 while Bedell contributed a 77.
- Playing as an individual, Sam Merrell is tied for 38th place with a 75.
- The Spartans concluded day one with a 3.12 stroke average in par 3 scoring, 4.36 stroke average in par 4 scoring and 5-under, 4.75 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- USC Upstate ranks tied for second in par 5 scoring and tied for third in par 3 scoring.
- The Spartans also recorded 47 pars and are second with 16 birdies.
- Warnock is tied for second among the tournament field in par 3 scoring at 1-under with a 2.80 stroke average.
- Paripunna leads the team, and is tied for second at the tournament, with a 1-under, 3.89 stroke average in par 4 scoring.
- Fry sits tied for fourth in the tournament in par 5 scoring at 3-under with a 4.25 stroke average.
- Carter contributed an even-par, 3.00 stroke average in par 3 scoring.
- Merrell is at even-par with a 4.00 stroke average in par 4 scoring.
- Carter and Warnock both finished at 2-under with a 4.50 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- Bedell added a 1-under, 4.75 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- Carter had a team-high 12 pars.
- Warnock recorded five birdies to tie for third at the tournament.
- Bedell, Carter, Fry and Merrell all had three birdies while Paripunna collected two.
- 1st Samford 285
- 2nd Bradley 286
- 3rd Southern Miss 289
- T-4th USC Upstate 292
- T-4th Omaha 292
- T-6th Belmont 295
- T-6th Austin Peay 295
- T-8th Bowling Green 296
- T-8th Xavier 296
- T-8th North Alabama 296
- 11th Lipscomb 297
- 12th Loyola-Chicago 299
- 13th North Dakota State 304
- 14th Florida Gulf Coast 308
- 15th Stetson 310
- 16th Lipscomb (B) 316
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- T-7th Matt Carter 71
- T-13th Jordan Warnock 72
- T-20th Hunter Fry 73
- T-38th Sam Merrell 75
- T-45th Sun Paripunna 76
- T-53rd Reid Bedell 77
- The final round of the Ryman Hospitality Intercollegiate will tee off at 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning.
Follow USC Upstate men's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).