Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate men's golf team carded the lowest round of the day with a second round 278, one stroke shy of tying the school record, as the Spartans opened play on Monday at the Wofford Invitational from the par 72, 6684-yard The Country Club of Spartanburg.
USC Upstate fired an opening day 581 (303-278) and is currently in seventh place of the team standings. A total of eight strokes separates the Spartans from Austin Peay in second place.
Furman leads the Wofford Invitational by nine strokes at 561. Ryan Hall of South Carolina, playing as an individual, and Furman's Jack Crosby sit atop the individual leaderboard at 9-under par 135.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- The second round 278 recorded by USC Upstate on Monday fell one stroke shy of tying the school record for lowest round.
- The previous record of 277 was set twice in 2011 at the Rutgers Invitational and 2013 at the Springhill Suites Intercollegiate.
- Jordan Warnock, Reid Bedell and Matt Carter all had rounds in the 60's to lead the Spartans individually.
- Warnock is currently tied for 12th place after shooting a combined score of 143 (74-69).
- Bedell sits in a tie for 15th position at 144 (69-75).
- Carter posted a total score of 146 (80-66) and is presently tied for 28th.
- Hunter Fry combined for a score of 150 (80-70) and is tied for 49th place.
- Sean Stanistreet rounds out the individual leaderboard for USC Upstate in a tie for 79th at 158 (85-73).
- Carter and Fry both set new career-low scores in the second round as Carter tallied a 66 and Fry a 70.
- Stanistreet matched his career-low score of 73 in the second round.
- Warnock equaled his season-low round of 69 during the second round.
- The Spartans finished day one of the tournament with a 3.12 stroke average in par 3 scoring, 4.19 stroke average in par 4 scoring and 3-under, 4.93 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- USC Upstate ranks tied for the tournament-lead in par 3 scoring.
- The Spartans have registered 95 pars, 34 birdies and two eagles.
- USC Upstate is also tied for second among the tournament field in eagles.
- Warnock is tied for second at the tournament in par 3 scoring with a team-best 1-under, 2.88 stroke average.
- Warnock is also tied for fifth in par 4 scoring at 3-under with a 3.85 stroke average.
- Bedell has a team-leading 4-under, 4.50 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- Bedell also recorded an even-par, 3.00 stroke average in par 3 scoring.
- Carter is at 3-under with a 4.62 stroke average in par 5 scoring while Fry sits at 1-under and a 4.88 stroke average.
- Carter leads the team with 25 pars (tied for fifth-best at tournament).
- Warnock is tied for third with 11 birdies.
- Fry and Carter compiled the team's two eagles on day one.
- Bedell has contributed nine birdies, Stanistreet and Carter five each, and Fry four.
- 1st Furman 281-280=561
- 2nd Austin Peay 285-285=570
- 3rd Wofford 280-291=571
- 4th Gardner-Webb 295-281=576
- 5th Radford 291-286=577
- 6th Belmont 297-281=578
- 7th USC Upstate 303-278=581
- 8th Longwood 298-289=587
- 9th Tennessee Tech 298-293=591
- 10th Charleston Southern 305-288=593
- 11th High Point 299-298=597
- 12th Francis Marion 300-298=598
- 13th Delaware 309-291=600
- 14th Western Carolina 307-300=607
- 15th Presbyterian 314-294=608
- 16th Appalachian State 312-299=611
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- T-12th Jordan Warnock 74-69=143
- T-15th Reid Bedell 69-75=144
- T-28th Matt Carter 80-66=146
- T-49th Hunter Fry 80-70=150
- T-79th Sean Stanistreet 85-73=158
- The final round of the Wofford Invitational will tee off at 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning.
Follow USC Upstate men's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).