Greenville, S.C. – Jordan Warnock carded an opening round 70 on Friday as the USC Upstate men's golf team battled sustained winds to begin play at the Furman Intercollegiate from the par 71, 6994-yard Furman University Golf Course.
USC Upstate posted a first round score of 300 and is tied for 11th place with Cincinnati. A total of ten strokes separate the Spartans from Minnesota in sixth place.
A four-way tie for first place exists on the individual leaderboard between Zack Taylor (Coastal Carolina), Wes Artac (Coastal Carolina), Alex Ross (Davidson) and James Turner (Dartmouth) at 2-under par 69.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- Warnock compiled two birdies on Friday and was the top individual performer for USC Upstate sitting in a tie for fifth place with a first round 1-under 70. He currently sits one stroke behind the day one leaders.
- Warnock registered just one bogey on the day while collecting 15 pars.
- A total of one stroke separates Reid Bedell and Matt Carter in the individual standings.
- Bedell sits in a tie for 41st place at 74 and Carter tied for 52nd with a 75.
- Hunter Fry and Sun Paripunna are both tied for 106th position shooting first round scores of 81.
- The Spartans finished round one with a 3.50 stroke average in par 3 scoring, 4.38 stroke average in par 4 scoring and 5-under, 4.67 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- USC Upstate currently sits in a tie for fourth in par 5 scoring.
- The Spartans also collected 53 pars and nine birdies.
- Warnock leads USC Upstate in par 3 scoring (E, 3.00 stroke average), par 4 scoring (4.09 stroke average) and par 5 scoring (-2, 4.33 stroke average).
- Warnock ranks tied for second among the tournament field with 15 pars.
- Carter is tied with Warnock with an even-par, 3.00 stroke average in par 3 scoring and Paripunna also has a 2-under par, 4.33 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- Bedell registered a 1-under, 4.67 stroke average in par 5 scoring while Fry and Carter were both at even-par with a 5.00 stroke average.
- Bedell led the team with four birdies while Paripunna added two and Carter one.
- 1st Virginia Tech 281
- 2nd Coastal Carolina 282
- 3rd Davidson 283
- T-4th Furman 289
- T-4th Yale 289
- 6th Minnesota 290
- 7th Dartmouth 292
- T-8th Samford 296
- T-8th Presbyterian 296
- 10th Charleston Southern 297
- T-11th USC Upstate 300
- T-11th Cincinnati 300
- 13th Marshall 301
- 14th High Point 304
- 15th Akron 307
- T-16th USC Aiken 308
- T-16th Wichita State 308
- 18th Francis Marion 310
- T-19th Georgia State 313
- T-19th Winthrop 313
- 21st Wofford 321
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- T-5th Jordan Warnock 70
- T-41st Reid Bedell 74
- T-52nd Matt Carter 75
- T-106th Hunter Fry 81
- T-106th Sun Paripunna 81
- The Spartans will tee off the second round of the Furman Intercollegiate at 9:10 a.m. on Saturday morning.
Follow USC Upstate men's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).