Bandon, Ore. – Jordan Warnock is currently tied for third place after day one of competition to lead the USC Upstate men's golf team at the Bandon Dunes Championship from the par 72, 6954-yard Bandon Dunes Golf Resort, the number one golf resort in North America.
USC Upstate is also tied for fifth place out of 17 teams after shooting an opening round 300.
Ohio State leads the Bandon Dunes Championship by three strokes over Utah at 291. Daniel Wetterich of Ohio State sits atop the individual leaderboard by one stroke over Utah's Blake Tomlinson at 3-under par 69.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- The Spartans battled cold and windy conditions on Sunday to sit ahead of four teams ranked higher in the latest Golfstat rankings in No. 19 N.C. State, No. 32 Oregon, No. 65 Boise State and No. 80 UNC Wilmington.
- USC Upstate is also tied in the standings with No. 54 Oregon State.
- Warnock leads the Spartans individually after day one sitting in a tie for third place with six other players at even-par 72. After bogeying his first two holes of the day, Warnock played the next 16 holes at 2-under par and is currently three strokes behind the day one leader.
- Matt Carter and Reid Bedell are both tied for 22nd place following their first round scores of 75.
- Sun Paripunna sits in a tie for 61st position after shooting an opening round 78.
- Hunter Fry rounds out the individual leaderboard in a tie for 100th place at 85.
- USC Upstate finished the day 1-over par as a team on the final five holes, which included two of the top-5 most difficult holes on the course.
- The Spartans are currently tied for fourth among the tournament field in par 5 scoring (-3, 4.85 stroke average) and fifth in par 3 scoring (3.45 stroke average).
- USC Upstate also finished the day with a 4.38 stroke average in par 4 scoring, 46 pars and 14 birdies.
- Warnock leads the Spartans in par 3 scoring (+1, 3.25 stroke average), par 4 scoring (+1, 4.10 stroke average) and par 5 scoring (-2, 4.50 stroke average).
- Warnock has also collected a team-leading five birdies.
- Carter is tied with Warnock for the team-lead in par 5 scoring.
- Bedell is at 1-under with a 4.75 stroke average in par 5 scoring and has a team-high 12 pars.
- Bedell and Carter contributed three birdies each while Paripunna registered two and Fry one.
- 1st (51) Ohio State 291
- 2nd (70) Utah 294
- T-3rd (10) SMU 299
- T-3rd (59) San Jose State 299
- T-5th Fresno State 300
- T-5th Denver 300
- T-5th (54) Oregon State 300
- T-5th USC Upstate 300
- 9th (32) Oregon 301
- 10th (65) Boise State 302
- T-11th (19) N.C. State 308
- T-11th (80) UNC Wilmington 308
- 13th CSU-Northridge 309
- 14th Gonzaga 310
- 15th Utah Valley 315
- 16th Washington State 320
- 17th Idaho 321
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- T-3rd Jordan Warnock 72
- T-22nd Matt Carter 75
- T-22nd Reid Bedell 75
- T-61st Sun Paripunna 78
- T-100th Hunter Fry 85
- The second round of the Bandon Dunes Championship will tee off on Monday morning.
Follow USC Upstate men's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).