Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. – The USC Upstate men's golf team, led by scores of 69 from Jordan Warnock, Reid Bedell and Matt Carter, recorded its lowest round of the season with a 281 as the Spartans concluded play on Tuesday at the Sea Best Invitational from the par 70, 6858-yard TPC Sawgrass – Dye's Valley Course.
USC Upstate posted the second-lowest round of the day among the tournament field and finished in 11th place at 871 (289-301-281).
No. 39 Florida State won the Sea Best Invitational by three strokes over No. 23 Florida with a combined score of 840. On the individual leaderboard, John Pak of Florida State finished at 4-under par 206 and defeated Florida's Gordon Neale and Eduardo Carrete of Jacksonville in a playoff to win individual medalist honors.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- The final round 281 carded by the Spartans was the second-lowest score of the day behind 39th-ranked, and tournament champion, Florida State.
- USC Upstate recorded a final round score better than No. 13 Arkansas, No. 23 North Florida, No. 26 N.C. State, No. 30 North Carolina, No. 35 Liberty, No. 42 Campbell and No. 46 Florida.
- The Spartans finished higher than No. 61 Jacksonville in the team standings and one stroke behind No. 24 UNLV.
- The final round 69's turned in by Warnock, Bedell and Carter mark the first time in program history that three players have had scores in the 60's during the same round.
- Warnock also finished higher on the individual leaderboard than seven players ranked in the top-100 nationally.
- Warnock led USC Upstate individually finishing in a tie for 13th place at 212 (73-70-69).
- Bedell and Carter both finished within one stroke of each other as Bedell placed in a tie for 40th place and Carter a tie for 46th. Bedell tallied a score of 219 (70-80-69) and Carter 220 (71-80-69).
- Sun Paripunna and Hunter Fry rounded out the leaderboard for the Spartans in a tie for 66th and 70th positions, respectively. Paripunna carded a total score of 226 (75-77-74) and Fry 229 (78-74-77).
- USC Upstate concluded the tournament third in par 3 scoring with a 3.07 stroke average to go with a 4.30 stroke average in par 4 scoring and 2-under, 4.93 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- The Spartans also registered 167 pars and 31 birdies.
- Warnock led the tournament with 42 pars and was the team-leader in par 3 scoring (-2, 2.83 stroke average) and par 4 scoring (4.08 stroke average).
- Carter had a team-leading 3-under par, 4.50 stroke average in par 5 scoring and 11 birdies.
- Bedell contributed eight birdies while Warnock added five, Paripunna four and Fry three.
- 1st Florida State 287-282-271=840
- 2nd North Florida 282-279-282=843
- 3rd Florida 278-281-289=848
- 4th Liberty 279-289-283=851
- 5th N.C. State 290-274-290=854
- 6th North Carolina 285-285-288=858
- T-7th Arkansas 286-293-282=861
- T-7th Campbell 288-286-287=861
- 9th East Carolina 286-288-294=868
- 10th UNLV 289-299-282=870
- 11th USC Upstate 289-301-281=871
- 12th Jacksonville 295-285-293=873
- 13th McNeese State 288-291-300=879
- 14th Lipscomb 305-288-295=888
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- T-13th Jordan Warnock 73-70-69=212
- T-40th Reid Bedell 70-80-69=219
- T-46th Matt Carter 71-80-69=220
- T-66th Sun Paripunna 75-77-74=226
- T-70th Hunter Fry 78-74-77=229
- USC Upstate returns to the course March 10-11 traveling to Bandon, Ore. for the Bandon Dunes Championship.
Follow USC Upstate men's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).