Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. – Jordan Warnock compiled rounds of 73 and 70 to lead the USC Upstate men's golf team on Monday as the Spartans opened their spring season at the Sea Best Invitational from the par 70, 6858-yard TPC Sawgrass – Dye's Valley Course.
As a team, USC Upstate carded rounds of 289 and 301 to sit one stroke behind No. 24 UNLV in the team standings with a total score of 590.
No. 46 Florida leads the Sea Best Invitational following day one action by two strokes over No. 23 North Florida at 559. Jacksonville's Eduardo Carrete sits atop the individual leaderboard by four strokes after shooting an opening day 7-under par 133.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- The Sea Best Invitational features nine of the top-ranked teams nationally as all nine rank among the top-50 of the Golfstat rankings.
- The tournament field features a total of 11 NCAA Regional teams.
- The Spartans posted a first round 289 on Monday which is 10 strokes lower than the previous best score at the Sea Best Invitational while their 36-hole total of 590 is best by 17 strokes.
- USC Upstate also topped No. 26 N.C. State by one stroke in the first round.
- Warnock was the top individual performer for the Spartans as his day one score of 143 (73-70) puts him in a tie for 21st place.
- Reid Bedell currently sits tied for 56th place at 150 (70-80) and Matt Carter tied for 63rd with a 151 (71-80).
- Hunter Fry and Sun Paripunna round out the individual standings for USC Upstate tied for 67th place at 152. Fry contributed rounds of 78-74 and Paripunna 75-77.
- The Spartans finished the day with a 3.15 stroke average in par 3 scoring, 4.34 stroke average in par 4 scoring and 5.05 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- USC Upstate also registered 111 pars and 16 birdies.
- Warnock is tied for the tournament-lead with 29 pars while sitting tied for first on the team in both par 3 scoring (E, 3.00 stroke average) and par 4 scoring (+2, 4.08 stroke average).
- Bedell matched Warnock in par 3 scoring at even-par to go with a 3.00 stroke average.
- Carter and Fry are currently first on the team in par 5 scoring with a 1-under par, 4.75 stroke average.
- Carter leads the team with six birdies.
- Fry and Bedell collected three birdies each while Warnock and Paripunna both had two.
- 1st Florida 278-281=559
- 2nd North Florida 282-279=561
- 3rd N.C. State 290-274=564
- 4th Liberty 279-289=568
- 5th Florida State 287-282=569
- 6th North Carolina 285-285=570
- T-7th Campbell 288-286=574
- T-7th East Carolina 286-288=574
- T-9th Arkansas 286-293=579
- T-9th McNeese State 288-291=579
- 11th Jacksonville 295-285=580
- 12th UNLV 289-300=589
- 13th USC Upstate 289-301=590
- 14th Lipscomb 305-288=593
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- T-21st Jordan Warnock 73-70=143
- T-56th Reid Bedell 70-80=150
- T-63rd Matt Carter 71-80=151
- T-67th Hunter Fry 78-74=152
- T-67th Sun Paripunna 75-77=152
- The final round of the Sea Best Invitational will tee off at 8 a.m. on Tuesday morning.
Follow USC Upstate men's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).