Kiawah Island, S.C. – USC Upstate senior Matt Carter closed out play at the East Bay Deli Classic on Tuesday in impressive fashion shooting a final round 3-under 69 to record his third top-10 performance of the season as the Spartan men's golf team wrapped up competition from the par 72, 6911-yard Turtle Point Golf Course.
USC Upstate, as a team, turned in a final round 300 on Tuesday and finished in fourth place out of 21 teams with a combined score of 878 (289-289-300).
College of Charleston won the East Bay Deli Classic by three strokes over Memphis at 861. College of Charleston's Christian Baliker and Isaiah Jackson of Memphis shared individual medalist honors at 7-under par 209.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- The Spartans played their final six holes as a team around even-par to secure its fourth place finish at the East Bay Deli Classic.
- Carter's final round 69 gave him a combined score of 5-under par 211 (71-71-69) for the tournament and registered a fourth place finish out of 117 players, his third top-10 showing of the season.
- The final round 69 carded by Carter tied Reid Bedell for USC Upstate's lowest round of the event.
- Jordan Warnock was the second top individual performer for the Spartans after tying for 41st place as his final round 76 gave him a total score of 225 (78-71-76).
- Bedell improved his final round score by seven strokes from Monday with a 75 and finished in a tie for 45th at 226 (69-82-75).
- Sun Paripunna and Hunter Fry rounded out the individual standings for USC Upstate tied for 51st and 78th places, respectively. Paripunna had a final round 80 and Fry an 83. Paripunna logged a total score of 227 (76-71-80) while Fry contributed a 232 (73-76-83).
- Playing as an individual, Sam Merrell finished in 112th place as his final round 85 put him at 252 (82-85-85) overall.
- The Spartans concluded tournament play with a 3.37 stroke average in par 3 scoring and went 5-under with a 4.92 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- USC Upstate ranked second among the tournament field in par 4 scoring (4.16 stroke average) and birdies (52).
- The Spartans were also tied for third with two eagles while adding 152 pars.
- Carter led the tournament in par 3 scoring at 3-under with a 2.75 stroke average.
- Carter tied for second in birdies after collecting 14 while adding a team-high 33 pars.
- Warnock finished at 1-over par with a 4.03 stroke average in par 4 scoring and Carter was at 2-over to go with a 4.07 stroke average.
- Fry and Paripunna tallied both of USC Upstate's two eagles.
- 1st College of Charleston 285-292-284=861
- 2nd Memphis 287-294-283=864
- 3rd Augusta 292-293-292=877
- 4th USC Upstate 289-289-300=878
- 5th Radford 296-299-287=882
- 6th Jacksonville State 289-306-290=885
- 7th Middle Tennessee State 300-293-294=887
- 8th Florida Atlantic 305-290-293=888
- 9th Winthrop 308-294-287=889
- 10th Troy 289-294-310=893
- 11th Presbyterian College 299-301-295=895
- 12th High Point 312-298-288=898
- T-13th Charleston Southern 301-301-297=899
- T-13th William & Mary 301-292-306=899
- 15th Gardner-Webb 308-300-294=902
- 16th Tennessee Tech 316-299-293=908
- 17th Western Carolina 303-295-312-=910
- 18th Loyola-Maryland 310-312-289=911
- 19th Appalachian State 311-306-295=912
- 20th Francis Marion 307-321-305=933
- 21st Hampton 321-329-333=983
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- 4th Matt Carter 71-71-69=211
- T-41st Jordan Warnock 78-71-76=225
- T-45th Reid Bedell 69-82-75=226
- T-51st Sun Paripunna 76-71-80=227
- T-78th Hunter Fry 73-76-83=232
- 112th Sam Merrell 82-85-85=252
- The Spartans begin their spring season Feb. 4-5 at the Sea Best Invitational in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.
Follow USC Upstate men's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).