Kiawah Island, S.C. – The USC Upstate men's golf team posted the lowest round of the day on Monday, led by Matt Carter's second straight score of 71, and has moved into second place at the East Bay Deli Classic from the par 72, 6911-yard Turtle Point Golf Course.
USC Upstate carded its second straight round of 289, the lowest of any team in the second round, and jumped Memphis in the team standings to sit in second place at 2-over 578 (289-289). The Spartans trail tournament leader College of Charleston by one stroke.
College of Charleston leads the East Bay Deli Classic at 1-over par 577. Individually, College of Charleston's Logan Sowell and Isaiah Jackson of Memphis are tied for first place at 5-under 139.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- USC Upstate used balanced scoring in the second round with all five players posting scores in the team's top-four.
- Carter's second straight round of 71 was tied for lowest on the team and moved him ahead seven spots on the individual leaderboard.
- Carter is currently tied for fourth place at 2-under par 142 (71-71).
- Sun Paripunna tied Carter with a second round 71, five strokes better than his first round score, and sits in a tie for 19th place at 147 (76-71).
- Jordan Warnock carded the biggest score improvement of the day by seven strokes, tying Carter and Paripunna at 71, and is tied for 30th position with a 149 (78-71).
- Hunter Fry is tied with Warnock for 30th place at 149 (73-76) following his second round 76.
- Reid Bedell rounds out the leaderboard for the Spartans in a tie for 47th with a total score of 151 (69-82).
- Playing as an individual, Sam Merrell sits in 110th place with a 167 (82-85).
- USC Upstate leads the East Bay Deli Classic in par 4 scoring with a 4.10 stroke average.
- The Spartans have compiled a 10-under par, 4.75 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- USC Upstate has tallied a 3.45 stroke average in par 3 scoring.
- The Spartans are second with 38 birdies and tied for second with two eagles.
- USC Upstate has also collected 101 pars.
- Warnock leads the tournament in par 4 scoring at 2-under with a 3.90 stroke average.
- Paripunna is tied for the tournament-lead in par 5 scoring at 6-under par to go with a 4.25 stroke average.
- Carter ranks second in par 3 scoring (-2, 2.75 stroke average) and tied for third in birdies (10).
- Fry and Paripunna are tied for second among the tournament field with one eagle apiece.
- Fry and Warnock have contributed a team-leading 22 pars.
- 1st College of Charleston 285-292=577
- 2nd USC Upstate 289-289=578
- 3rd Memphis 287-294=581
- 4th Troy 289-294=583
- 5th Augusta 292-293=585
- T-6th Middle Tennessee State 300-293=593
- T-6th William & Mary 301-292=593
- T-8th Jacksonville State 289-306=595
- T-8th Radford 296-299=595
- T-8th Florida Atlantic 305-290=595
- 11th Western Carolina 303-295=598
- 12th Presbyterian College 299-301=600
- T-13th Winthrop 308-294=602
- T-13th Charleston Southern 301-301=602
- 15th Gardner-Webb 308-300=608
- 16th High Point 312-298=610
- 17th Tennessee Tech 316-299=615
- 18th Appalachian State 311-306=617
- 19th Loyola-Maryland 310-312=622
- 20th Francis Marion 307-321=628
- 21st Hampton 321-329=650
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- T-4th Matt Carter 71-71=142
- T-19th Sun Paripunna 76-71=147
- T-30th Jordan Warnock 78-71=149
- T-30th Hunter Fry 73-76=149
- T-47th Reid Bedell 69-82=151
- 110th Sam Merrell 82-85=167
- The final round of the East Bay Deli Classic tees off at 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning.
Follow USC Upstate men's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).