Kiawah Island, S.C. – The USC Upstate men's golf team battled windy course conditions on Sunday to sit in a tie for third place, led by Reid Bedell's opening round 69, out of 21 teams at the East Bay Deli Classic from the par 72, 6911-yard Turtle Point Golf Course.
As a team, the Spartans carded a 1-over par 289 and sits tied with Jacksonville State and Troy for third place in the team standings. USC Upstate is two strokes back of second place Memphis.
College of Charleston leads the East Bay Deli Classic following first round action at 3-under 285. Isaiah Jackson of Memphis sits atop the individual leaderboard by two strokes at 6-under par 66.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- Bedell's first round 3-under 69 was the lowest score of the day for the Spartans and puts him in a tie for fifth place three strokes behind day one leader Jackson.
- Matt Carter also finished under-par on Sunday shooting a 1-under 71 and is tied for 11th place.
- Hunter Fry sits two strokes back of Carter after carding a 1-over par 73 and finished day one tied for 20th place.
- Sun Paripunna and Jordan Warnock round out the individual leaderboard for USC Upstate tied for 44th and 70th places, respectively. Paripunna recorded a first round 76 while Warnock contributed a 78.
- Playing as an individual, Sam Merrell is tied for 100th place at 82.
- Throughout the first round the Spartans had every player shooting par or better.
- USC Upstate finished the day with a 3.30 stroke average in par 3 scoring, 4.10 stroke average in par 4 scoring and 4-under with a 4.80 stroke average in par 5 scoring. The Spartans rank third among the tournament field in par 4 scoring and fourth in par 5 scoring.
- USC Upstate also registered 52 pars and is third with 17 birdies.
- The Spartans are tied for the tournament lead with two eagles.
- Bedell and Paripunna lead the tournament in par 4 and par 5 scoring. Bedell has a 3-under, 3.70 stroke average in par 4 scoring while Paripunna is 4-under with a 4.00 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- Carter is tied for second in par 3 scoring at 1-under with a 2.75 stroke average.
- Bedell compiled a team-high five birdies.
- Fry leads the team with 13 pars.
- Fry and Paripunna recorded both of USC Upstate's two eagles during the first round.
- 1st College of Charleston 285
- 2nd Memphis 287
- T-3rd Jacksonville State 289
- T-3rd USC Upstate 289
- T-3rd Troy 289
- 6th Augusta 292
- 7th Radford 296
- 8th Presbyterian College 299
- 9th Middle Tennessee State 300
- T-10th Charleston Southern 301
- T-10th William & Mary 301
- 12th Western Carolina 303
- 13th Florida Atlantic 305
- 14th Francis Marion 307
- T-15th Winthrop 308
- T-15th Gardner-Webb 308
- 17th Loyola-Maryland 310
- 18th Appalachian State 311
- 19th High Point 312
- 20th Tennessee Tech 316
- 21st Hampton 321
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- T-5th Reid Bedell 69
- T-11th Matt Carter 71
- T-20th Hunter Fry 73
- T-44th Sun Paripunna 76
- T-70th Jordan Warnock 78
- T-100th Sam Merrell 82
- The second round of the East Bay Deli Classic will tee off at 7:30 a.m. on Monday morning.
Follow USC Upstate men's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).