Camden, S.C. – The USC Upstate men's golf team, led by a final round 67 from senior Matt Carter and back-to-back birdies on the last two holes from junior Jordan Warnock, came back from five strokes down on Sunday afternoon to win the Camden Collegiate Invitational from the par 70, 6455-yard Camden Country Club.
The Spartans posted the lowest round of the day with a 289 for a combined score of 859 (282-288-289) to capture the Camden Collegiate Invitational by one stroke over host Furman.
Furman's Jack Crosby captured individual medalist honors by one stroke over Warnock at even-par 210.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- The tournament championship was the first for USC Upstate since capturing the Bash at the Beach on March 11, 2014 in Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- The Spartans came into the final round on Sunday trailing Furman by three strokes and became a four-stroke deficit after the opening nine holes.
- USC Upstate combined for a 1-over par score on the back nine and made up five strokes to defeat Furman by one.
- The Spartans established a new program record on Sunday for lowest 54-hole total with their score of 859.
- Warnock led the team individually with the second top-5 performance of his career, shooting a final round 71 to finish in second place at one-over 211 (70-70-71).
- Warnock birdied the final two holes, both par 4's, to help secure the tournament championship for USC Upstate and propel him into a top-5 finish.
- Carter was the only golfer among the tournament field to shoot below 70 on Sunday with a 3-under par 67 to finish in a tie for third at 213 (71-75-67).
- Junior Reid Bedell earned a top-15 showing as his final round 77 put him tied for 15th place with a combined score of 220 (68-75-77).
- Junior Hunter Fry carded his second straight round of 74 and concluded the tournament tied for 19th with a 221 (73-74-74).
- Junior Sun Paripunna rounded out the individual standings tied for 24th position as his final round 79 gave him a total score of 222 (74-69-79).
- Playing as individuals, juniors Sam Merrell and Sean Stanistreet finished in 51st and 54th places, respectively. Merrell had a final round 80 and Stanistreet an 85. Merrell posted a three-round score of 233 (77-76-80) and Stanistreet 244 (80-79-85).
- The Spartans led the Camden Collegiate Invitational in par 4 scoring (4.16 stroke average) and birdies (40).
- USC Upstate was also tied for second with a 3.24 stroke average in par 3 scoring and tied for third in par 5 scoring at 5-under with a 4.89 stroke average.
- The Spartans also registered 165 pars.
- Paripunna had a tournament-high 11 birdies while Bedell was second in par 4 scoring at 1-over with a 4.03 stroke average.
- Warnock led USC Upstate in both par 3 (+1, 3.07 stroke average) and par 5 scoring (-4, 4.56 stroke average), and pars (37).
- Warnock contributed nine birdies, Carter eight, Bedell seven, Fry five, and Merrell and Stanistreet two each.
- 1st USC Upstate 282-288-289=859
- 2nd Furman 282-285-293=860
- 3rd USC Aiken 284-283-303=870
- 4th Francis Marion 291-278-306=875
- 5th Charleston Southern 294-292-296=882
- 6th Limestone 290-287-307=884
- T-7th Presbyterian College 295-291-301=887
- T-7th Dartmouth 299-291-297=887
- 9th Gardner-Webb 293-285-312=890
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- 2nd Jordan Warnock 70-70-71=211
- T-3rd Matt Carter 71-75-67=213
- T-15th Reid Bedell 68-75-77=220
- T-19th Hunter Fry 73-74-74=221
- T-24th Sun Paripunna 74-69-79=222
- 51st Sam Merrell 77-76-80=233 (Playing as individual)
- 54th Sean Stanistreet 80-79-85=244 (Playing as individual)
- The Spartans wrap up their fall schedule Nov. 4-6 at the East Bay Deli Classic in Kiawah Island, S.C.
Follow USC Upstate men's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).