Lorton, Va. – Matt Carter recorded his fifth career top-10 finish this weekend to help lead the USC Upstate men's golf team to a sixth place finish at the Patriot Intercollegiate from the par 71, 6873-yard Laurel Hill Golf Club.
USC Upstate compiled rounds of 290 and 291 to shoot 581 overall for the sixth place finish.
Host George Mason won the Patriot Intercollegiate by four strokes over Towson after shooting a two-round score of 576. Gerald Mackedon of St. John's won individual medalist honors at 4-under par 138.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- Carter contributed rounds of 70 and 73 to finish tied for seventh place at 1-over 143.
- Sun Paripunna and Jordan Warnock both tied for 17th position with a two-round 145 (+3). Paripunna had rounds of 72 and 73 while Warnock added scores of 73 and 72.
- Hunter Fry tied for 37th after finishing at 148 following rounds of 75 and 73.
- Reid Bedell rounded out the individual standings for the Spartans tied for 47th place at 150 (77-73).
- USC Upstate finished third among the tournament field in par 3 and par 5 scoring. The Spartans were at 5-under par on par 5 holes with a 4.75 stroke average while going 2-over with a 3.08 stroke average in par 3 scoring.
- USC Upstate also had a 4.27 stroke average in par 4 scoring.
- The Spartans led the tournament with 62 pars and added 11 birdies.
- Paripunna and Fry both finished the tournament leading the team in par 3 scoring at even-par with a 3.00 stroke average.
- Warnock and Carter tied for fourth in par 5 scoring at 2-under to go with a 4.50 stroke average.
- Paripunna and Bedell concluded the tournament tied for fourth after carding 14 pars.
- 1st George Mason 286-286=572
- 2nd Towson 287-289=576
- 3rd George Washington 291-286=577
- T-4th Florida Atlantic 287-293=580
- T-4th St. John's 289-291=580
- 6th USC Upstate 290-291=581
- 7th Lafayette 292-291=583
- 8th Saint Joseph's (Pa.) 298-289=587
- 9th Rhode Island 302-286=588
- 10th Bethune-Cookman 291-299=590
- 11th La Salle 304-298=602
- 12th Wagner 310-303=613
- 13th Hampton 308-308=616
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- T-7th Matt Carter 70-73=143
- T-17th Sun Paripunna 72-73=145
- T-17th Jordan Warnock 73-72=145
- T-37th Hunter Fry 75-73=148
- T-47th Reid Bedell 77-73=150
- USC Upstate returns to the course Oct. 8-9 at the Presbyterian Intercollegiate from Musgrove Mill Golf Club in Clinton, S.C.
Follow USC Upstate men's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).