Nashville, Tenn. – Matt Carter recorded his fourth career top-10 finish, and third this season, after shooting a final round 71 on Tuesday to lead the USC Upstate men's golf team as the Spartans battled a strong field at the Ryman Hospitality Intercollegiate from the par 71, 6943-yard Richland Country Club.
USC Upstate carded a third round 299 on Tuesday and moved ahead one spot in the team standings to finish in seventh place at 888 (298-291-299).
Rice won the Ryman Hospitality Intercollegiate with an 8-over par 860, five strokes better than host Lipscomb. Mitchell Meissner of Rice and Lipscomb's Dawson Armstrong tied for individual medalist honors at 5-under 208.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- The Spartans finished better in the team standings than four teams ranked higher in the latest Golfstat rankings in Maryland (No. 76), Cincinnati (No. 98), Abilene Christian (No. 160) and Bradley (No. 169).
- Carter was the top individual performer for USC Upstate, tallying a final round 71 to finish tied for 9th place at 218 (74-73-71).
- Carter now has four top-10 finishes in his career and three this season after placing tied for 7th at both the Camden Collegiate Invitational and Mission Inn Spring Spectacular.
- Hunter Fry recorded the lowest 54-hole total of his career shooting a final round 75 to place in a tie for 26th at 224 (77-72-75).
- Jordan Warnock was tied for 33rd place with a third round 76 and a combined score of 225 (79-70-76), finishing one stroke back of Fry.
- Sun Paripunna and Reid Bedell both had rounds of 77 on Tuesday and finished tied for 40th at 227. Paripunna posted rounds of 74-76-77 and Bedell 73-77-77.
- The Spartans contributed a 3.28 stroke average in par 3 scoring, 4.32 stroke average in par 4 scoring and 8-under, 4.87 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- USC Upstate was fourth among the tournament field in par 4 scoring and tied for fourth in par 5 scoring.
- The Spartans were also tied for third with two eagles and fourth with 155 pars.
- USC Upstate added 34 birdies during the tournament.
- Bedell led the Spartans in par 3 scoring with a 3.07 stroke average and tied with Fry for the team-lead in eagles at one apiece.
- Fry was second among the tournament field in par 5 scoring at 7-under par with a 4.42 stroke average.
- Carter was fourth at the Ryman Hospitality Intercollegiate in par 4 scoring at even-par to go with a 4.00 stroke average.
- Warnock tied first at the tournament with 36 pars and contributed a 3-under, 4.75 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- Carter concluded the tournament with a team-high nine birdies while Fry added eight, Bedell seven, Warnock six and Paripunna four.
- 1st Rice 288-283-289=860
- 2nd Lipscomb 290-290-285=865
- 3rd Chattanooga 301-287-286=874
- 4th Memphis 295-292-288
- T-5th Western Kentucky 296-284-296=876
- T-5th Mercer 296-292-288=876
- 7th USC Upstate 298-291-299=888
- T-8th Maryland 298-295-299=892
- T-8th Cincinnati 295-291-306=892
- 10th Bradley 305-295-303=903
- 11th Belmont 297-306-304=907
- 12th Lipscomb (B) 308-308-308=924
- 13th Samford 314-304-307=925
- 14th Abilene Christian 314-315-319
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- T-9th Matt Carter 74-73-71=218
- T-26th Hunter Fry 77-72-75=224
- T-33rd Jordan Warnock 79-70-76=225
- T-40th Sun Paripunna 74-76-77=227
- T-40th Reid Bedell 73-77-77=227
- The Spartans play their final tournament prior to the ASUN Men's Golf Championship on Monday, April 16 traveling to Mills River, N.C. for the Bright's Creek Collegiate.
Follow USC Upstate men's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).