Nashville, Tenn. – The USC Upstate men's golf team used a balanced scoring effort from all five players on Monday to sit in eighth place after the first two rounds of the 2nd Annual Ryman Hospitality Intercollegiate from the par 71, 6943-yard Richland Country Club.
USC Upstate carded rounds of 298 and 291 to sit alone in eighth place at 589. A total of nine strokes separate the Spartans from Lipscomb and Western Kentucky who are tied for second place.
Rice leads the Ryman Hospitality Intercollegiate by nine strokes over Lipscomb and Western Kentucky at 571. Mitchell Meissner of Rice sits atop the individual leaderboard at 6-under par 136.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- USC Upstate currently sits ahead of three teams ranked higher than it in the latest Golfstat rankings in Maryland (No. 76), Abilene Christian (No. 160) and Bradley (No. 169).
- The second round 291 turned in by the Spartans was tied for the sixth-lowest score of the day from the tournament field.
- Matt Carter was the top individual performer for USC Upstate on Monday with rounds of 74 and 73 for a tie for 18th place showing at 147.
- Jordan Warnock and Hunter Fry both carded a combined score of 149 and are tied for 26th place. Warnock had rounds of 79-70 and Fry 77-72.
- Sun Paripunna and Reid Bedell round out the individual standings for the Spartans tied for 34th place at 150. Paripunna posted scores of 74-76 and Bedell 73-77.
- Fry set a new career-low with his second round 72 while Paripunna matched his career-low score of 74 in the first round.
- USC Upstate finished the day with a 3.30 stroke average in par 3 scoring, 4.28 stroke average in par 4 scoring and 6-under, 4.85 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- The Spartans are tied for fourth at the tournament in par 4 scoring and tied for fifth in par 5 scoring.
- USC Upstate is also tied for first with two eagles and third with 103 pars while registering 23 birdies.
- Fry is tied for first place in the tournament in par 5 scoring with a 5-under par, 4.38 stroke average while tying for first, along with Bedell, with one eagle.
- Bedell and Carter are tied for the team-lead in par 3 scoring at 1-over with a 3.10 stroke average.
- Carter leads the team in par 4 scoring at 1-over par and a 4.06 stroke average.
- Warnock contributed a 2-under, 4.75 stroke average in par 5 scoring while Bedell is at 1-under with a 4.88 stroke average and Paripunna even-par with a 5.00 stroke average.
- Carter and Paripunna compiled a team-best 23 pars.
- Bedell, Carter, Fry and Warnock all had five birdies in the first two rounds.
- Paripunna added three birdies.
- 1st Rice 288-283=571
- T-2nd Lipscomb 290-290=580
- T-2nd Western Kentucky 296-284=580
- 4th Cincinnati 295-291=586
- 5th Memphis 295-292=587
- T-6th Mercer 296-292=588
- T-6th Chattanooga 301-287=588
- 8th USC Upstate 298-291=589
- 9th Maryland 298-295=593
- 10th Bradley 305-295=600
- 11th Belmont 297-306=603
- 12th Lipscomb (B) 308-308=616
- 13th Samford 314-304=618
- 14th Abilene Christian 314-315=629
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- T-18th Matt Carter 74-73=147
- T-26th Jordan Warnock 79-70=149
- T-26th Hunter Fry 77-72=149
- T-34th Sun Paripunna 74-76=150
- T-34th Reid Bedell 73-77=150
- The final round of the Ryman Hospitality Intercollegiate will tee off at 9 a.m. EST on Tuesday morning.
Follow USC Upstate men's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).