Howey-in-the-Hills, Fla. – Jordan Warnock fired a 36-hole total of 2-under 142 and stands tied for second place as four USC Upstate men's golfers are in the top-15 of an 85 player field through day one of the Mission Inn Spring Spectacular from the par 72, 6834-yard Mission Inn Golf Resort.
The second round 286 carded by the Spartans was the second-lowest of the day by any team and lowest since the 2015-16 season when they had rounds of 287 at the Furman Intercollegiate and Coca-Cola Wofford Invitational. USC Upstate is currently in second place and sits five strokes back of leader No. 27 TCU at 590 (304-286). The Spartans improved their second round score by 18 strokes to conclude day one.
TCU leads the Mission Inn Spring Spectacular at 585 (304-281) while David Ravetto, playing as an individual, leads the tournament at 5-under 139.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- The Mission Inn Spring Spectacular field consists of some of the top programs nationally, according to the latest Golfstat rankings, in TCU (No. 27), Indiana (No. 104), Toledo (No. 111), Princeton (No. 149) and Florida Atlantic (No. 159).
- Warnock is the top individual performer for USC Upstate as the sophomore is currently tied for second place at 2-under par 142 with rounds of 73 and 69.
- Warnock's second round 69 is the third-lowest on the team this season as Reid Bedell had a 67 at the East Bay Deli Classic and Matt Carter a 68 at the Wolfpack Intercollegiate.
- Carter is four strokes back of Warnock in a tie for sixth place at 146 (76-70) while Bedell is tied for 15th at 149 (75-74).
- Sun Paripunna, playing as an individual, is also tied for 15th with Bedell at 149 (74-75). His first round 74 tied a career-low mark.
- Hunter Fry and Sean Stanistreet are tied for 48th and 56th places, respectively. Fry compiled a two-round score of 157 (80-77) and Stanistreet 160 (87-73).
- Sam Merrell, also playing as an individual, rounds out the individual leaderboard for the Spartans in a tie for 76th place at 170 (91-79).
- USC Upstate currently leads the Mission Inn Spring Spectacular in par 3 scoring with a 3.13 stroke average and is tied for first with one eagle.
- The Spartans are also third in par 5 scoring (-2, 4.95 stroke average) and pars (105), and are tied for third with 26 birdies.
- USC Upstate contributed a 4.31 stroke average in par 4 scoring.
- Paripunna leads the tournament in par 3 scoring at 2-under with a 2.75 stroke average while Carter has compiled a tournament-best 29 pars.
- Warnock is first on the team in par 4 scoring (+1, 4.05 stroke average), par 5 scoring (-2, 4.75 stroke average), birdies (8) and eagles (1). He finished the day with a 1-under, 2.88 stroke average in par 3 scoring.
- Bedell tied Warnock for the team-lead with eight birdies.
- Carter has an even-par, 3.00 stroke average in par 3 scoring, 4.15 stroke average in par 4 scoring and 1-under, 4.88 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- Bedell posted an even-par, 3.00 stroke average score on par 3 holes.
- Paripunna compiled a 1-under, 2.88 stroke average and six birdies through the first two rounds.
- Along with eight birdies each from Warnock and Bedell, Paripunna added six, Fry four, Stanistreet and Carter three apiece, and Merrell two.
QUOTES FROM COACH TODD LAWTON
- "I asked the guys to be patient all day and control emotions. This course has proven tough and can destroy confidence with undulating greens and demanding tee shot placement. I am so proud that their efforts in that way were rewarded in the afternoon round."
- "Jordan has been there for us this spring and his game is getting better every day. His work is paying off and he plays smart with good course management. No doubt we will see good things in his future."
- 1st TCU 304-281=585
- 2nd USC Upstate 304-286=590
- 3rd Indiana 293-301=594
- 4th Toledo 303-292=595
- T-5th Princeton 304-295=599
- T-5th Florida Atlantic 302-297=599
- 7th Lehigh 302-306=608
- 8th Bethune-Cookman 308-302=610
- 9th George Mason 312-299=611
- 10th Murray State 314-307=621
- 11th Presbyterian College 319-306=625
- 12th Florida A&M 317-309=626
- 13th Princeton (B) 332-308=640
- 14th Hofstra 323-331=654
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- T-2nd Jordan Warnock 73-69=142
- T-6th Matt Carter 76-70=146
- T-15th Reid Bedell 75-74=149
- T-15th Sun Paripunna 74-75=149
- T-48th Hunter Fry 80-77=157
- T-56th Sean Stanistreet 87-73=160
- T-76th Sam Merrell 91-79=170
- The final round of the Mission Inn Spring Spectacular will tee off on Sunday morning at 8:15 a.m.
Follow USC Upstate men's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).