Spartanburg, S.C. – Deion Holmes scored a team-high 23 points on Saturday afternoon as the USC Upstate men's basketball team closed out its regular season with a 92-71 loss to the Hampton Pirates on Senior Day from Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate falls to 6-25 on the season and 1-15 in Big South play while Hampton improves to 14-15 overall and 9-7 in the conference.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Holmes led USC Upstate offensively with his 73rd career double-figure scoring performance and 26th with 20 or more points. He finished the game shooting 9-of-18 from the floor and added five rebounds.
- Dalvin White came off the bench to tie his career-high of 10 points and contributed three steals.
- Nevin Zink compiled nine points and seven rebounds on 4-of-7 shooting.
- Malik Moore, with eight points, became the 11th player in program history, and fourth in the Division I era, to eclipse 1,400 career points joining Holmes, Torrey Craig and Ty Greene.
- Everette Hammond set a new career-high dishing out six assists.
- Jermaine Marrow scored a game-high 30 points for the Pirates and was one of four players to score in double-figures.
- Akim Mitchell had 26 points while Trevond Barnes compiled 15 and Kalin Fisher 12.
- Greg Heckstall grabbed a game-high eight rebounds.
- The Spartans finished the game shooting 45.2 percent (28-of-62) from the field.
- USC Upstate held a 21-7 advantage in bench points.
- The game featured five lead changes and two ties.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- The teams traded baskets for the first four minutes before the Spartans got a 3-point play from Zink to go ahead 10-6 at the 15:49 mark.
- Span kept USC Upstate ahead by four, 12-8, the following possession on his jumper with 15:04 left.
- Hampton would then go on a 13-2 run over the next 2:21 and went in front 21-14 with 12:20 to go.
- White got the Spartans within four, 24-20, with his 3-pointer at the 10:17 mark.
- Marrow scored six of the next eight points for the Pirates as they extended their lead to 32-20 with 8:20 remaining.
- Hampton led by double-digits for the final 6:48 of the first half.
- USC Upstate got as close as 10 points, 39-29, with 2:38 to go on a layup by Holmes.
- The Pirates took their largest lead of the half at 48-31 with 25 seconds left.
- A 3-point play from Holmes with 12 seconds remaining sent the Spartans into halftime trailing 48-34.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- USC Upstate cut its deficit down to 11 points twice within the first four minutes to start the second half with the last coming at 59-48 with 16:51 left on a 3-pointer from Hammond.
- The Spartans would be held scoreless over the following 3:28 before Holmes' 3-point play cut their deficit down to 63-51 at the 13:21 mark.
- Hampton recorded six of the next seven points and increased its lead to 71-54 with 10:37 remaining.
- After Zink trimmed the score down to 73-59, the Pirates broke the game open with an 8-0 run, with seven coming from Marrow, to lead 81-59 at the 7:00 mark.
- USC Upstate got as close as 19 points twice the rest of the way starting at 81-62 with 6:48 to go on White's 3-pointer.
- Zink kept the deficit at 19 points, 83-64, 37 seconds later with his layup.
- The Pirates answered with a 9-0 run and held their largest lead of the game at 92-64 with 2:14 remaining.
- The Spartans outscored Hampton 7-0 over the final 2:00.
- A steal and dunk from Andrew Tate with 44 seconds left put the final score at 92-71.
- USC Upstate travels to Charleston Southern on Tuesday, March 5 for the first round of the Big South Men's Basketball Championship with tip off scheduled for 7 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).