Spartanburg, S.C. – Deion Holmes scored a team-high 22 points, while Everette Hammond had a career-high 20, on Wednesday evening as the USC Upstate men's basketball team fell to the Campbell Camels 85-73 from Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate falls to 6-24 on the season and 1-14 in conference play while Campbell improves to 18-11 overall and 11-4 in the league.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Holmes registered his 25th career game scoring at least 20 points for the Spartans finishing with 22 and eight rebounds on 6-of-14 shooting, 4-of-8 from 3-point range and 6-for-6 at the free throw line.
- With his team-leading 22 points, Holmes moves into sixth place all-time in scoring surpassing Kevin Harrington (2000-04).
- Hammond contributed 20 points and six rebounds on 5-of-12 shooting, 4-of-7 behind the 3-point line and 6-for-8 at the free throw line. Hammond also had four assists and a career-high four steals.
- Dalvin White added eight points and four assists.
- Chris Clemons led all players with a game-high 32 points for the Camels.
- Andrew Eudy contributed a double-double of 15 points and 10 rebounds while Ja'Cor Nelson scored 17 points.
- USC Upstate finished the game shooting 40.7 percent (22-of-54) from the field and 41.7 percent (10-of-24) behind the 3-point line.
- The Spartans held a 33-32 advantage in rebounds.
- USC Upstate also led 8-7 in second chance points and 12-6 in bench points.
- The game featured two lead changes.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- Hammond scored the Spartans first five points as they held a 5-2 lead with 17:33 remaining on his layup.
- Campbell followed with an 11-2 run over the next three minutes and took a 13-7 lead at the 13:38 mark.
- Brandon Martin cut USC Upstate's lead down to 15-12 with 11:39 left on his jumper.
- The Camels took a 24-14 lead at the 8:29 mark when Trey Spencer made two free throws.
- The Spartans got as close as five points the rest of the way when Pat Welch knocked down a 3-pointer at the 7:15 mark to make the score 24-19.
- Campbell led by double-digits for the final five minutes of the first half.
- The Camels led by as many as 16 points three times with the last coming at 39-23 with 1:05 left.
- Jure Span made one free throw with eight seconds remaining to make the halftime score 41-27.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- Campbell increased its lead to 18 points, 45-27, to begin the second half following a dunk from Isaac Chatman.
- Holmes and White combined for an 11-0 run, including three 3-pointers, over the next 2:03 and trailed 45-38 on a layup by White.
- A 3-pointer by Holmes with 16:05 remaining made the score 49-43.
- The Camels then broke the game open courtesy of a 10-0 run that lasted 1:33 and led 59-43.
- Campbell held its largest lead of the game at 17 points, 61-44, on a pair of free throws from Clemons.
- Hammond trimmed USC Upstate's deficit down to 66-57 with 5:01 to go after making two free throws.
- The Spartans got as close as 67-59 at the 4:34 mark on a layup by Nevin Zink.
- The Camels final six points of the game were at the free throw line.
- Clemons connected on two free throws with 42 seconds left to put the score at 85-68.
- A 3-pointer by Holmes with one second remaining made the final score 85-73.
- USC Upstate plays its final game of the regular season on Saturday afternoon when it hosts Hampton at 4 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).