Charleston, S.C. – Deion Holmes scored a game-high 24 points on Thursday evening as the USC Upstate men's basketball team fell 92-60 to the Charleston Southern Buccaneers in Big South action from the Buc Dome.
USC Upstate falls to 6-23 on the season and 1-13 in conference play while Charleston Southern improves to 13-13 overall and 7-6 in the league.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Holmes registered his 24th career game scoring at least 20 points leading all players with 24 on 10-of-17 shooting and 4-for-7 behind the 3-point line.
- Holmes also led the Spartans with five rebounds along with Nevin Zink.
- Everette Hammond contributed eight points and three assists.
- Dalvin White added seven points, four rebounds and three steals.
- Jure Span dished out three assists.
- The Buccaneers had four players score in double-figures led by Christian Keeling with a double-double of 19 points and 13 rebounds.
- Phlandrous Fleming compiled 15 points while Dontrell Shuler and Deontaye Buskey both had 10.
- USC Upstate finished the game shooting 39.7 percent (23-of-58) from the field and 40.7 percent (11-of-27) behind the 3-point line.
- The game featured three ties and two lead changes.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- White and Holmes combined for the Spartans first five points as Holmes gave it a 5-3 lead at the 18:19 mark with his 3-pointer.
- The score would be tied three times after that with the last coming at 10-10 with 14:05 to go on a basket by Pat Welch.
- Charleston Southern would then go on an 11-0 run over the next five minutes and held a 21-10 lead with 9:26 remaining.
- White trimmed the deficit down to 21-13 the following possession with his 3-pointer.
- The Buccaneers led by as many as 16 points three times in the first half.
- Charleston Southern took a 36-20 lead with 3:07 left on a jumper.
- Holmes responded with back-to-back 3-pointers and cut USC Upstate's deficit down to 36-26 at the 2:22 mark.
- Brandon Martin kept the Spartans within a 10 point margin when his jumper with 1:34 remaining made the score 38-28.
- The Buccaneers got a tip-in basket as time expired to lead 40-28 at halftime.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- Holmes and Josh Aldrich both kept USC Upstate down 11 within the first two minutes to start the second half.
- A 3-pointer by Holmes at the 18:27 mark put the score at 43-32.
- The Spartans did not score for over three minutes as Charleston Southern built up a 53-32 lead with 15:13 remaining.
- USC Upstate got as close as 19 points the rest of the way starting when a 3-pointer by Holmes with 15:05 to go made the score 53-34.
- A layup from Holmes with 13:27 left cut the Buccaneers lead down to 55-36.
- Charleston Southern broke the game open courtesy of a 14-5 run over the span of nearly three minutes to take a 69-41 lead.
- Ty Jones put the Buccaneers ahead 78-47 with 6:48 remaining.
- Charleston Southern held its largest lead of the game, 36 points, twice over the final 2:25.
- Span's 3-pointer with two seconds left put the final score at 92-60.
- The Spartans close out their regular season with two straight home games beginning on Wednesday, February 27 at 7 p.m. against Campbell.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).