Farmville, Va. – Jure Span, Pat Welch, Ross Ryan and Dalvin White all set new career-high scoring marks on Saturday afternoon as the USC Upstate men's basketball team dropped an 83-79 decision in overtime to the Longwood Lancers at Willett Hall.
USC Upstate falls to 6-22 on the season and 1-12 in Big South play while Longwood improves to 15-13 overall and 5-8 in the conference.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Span came off the bench to shoot 7-of-12 from the field, 5-of-9 from 3-point range and 4-for-5 at the free throw line and just missed on his first career double-double of a career-high 23 points to go with nine assists.
- Welch was 6-of-15 shooting, highlighted by four 3-pointers, and scored a career-high 16 points and registered four steals.
- Ryan added a career-high 11 points on 4-of-6 shooting and White a career-best 10 in 27 minutes of playing time.
- Deion Holmes contributed 12 points and fell just shy of a double-double with a game-high nine rebounds.
- With his 12 points, Holmes became just the seventh player in school history, and third in the Division I era, to score 1,500 career points.
- JaShaun Smith led four Lancers in double-figures scoring with 19 points while Shabooty Phillips contributed 16, Jaylon Wilson 14 and Sean Flood 11.
- Phillips also had a team-high seven rebounds for Longwood.
- The Spartans finished the game shooting 39.7 percent (25-of-63) from the field and 88.2 percent (15-of-17) at the free throw line.
- USC Upstate held a 23-16 advantage in points off turnovers, 4-2 in fast break points and 54-24 in bench points.
- The game featured four ties and two lead changes.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- The Lancers opened the game on a 10-0 run over the first four minutes and led by 10 points at the 16:00 mark.
- The Spartans answered with eight consecutive points, capped by back-to-back three's from Span, to cut their deficit to 10-8 with 13:10 remaining.
- Josh Aldrich later tied the game for USC Upstate at 16-16 with 8:23 to go after his layup.
- The teams traded a pair of 3-pointers each as the Spartans trailed 22-21 at the 5:55 mark after Welch recorded five straight points.
- USC Upstate was limited to just two field goals over the final five minutes of the first half.
- Longwood led by nine, 34-25, with 50 seconds left but Ross responded with a 3-pointer to cut the lead down to 34-28.
- A layup with 14 seconds to go sent the Lancers into halftime leading 36-28.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- Longwood led by double-digits for a stretch of 4:45 to start the second half.
- The Lancers held their largest lead of the game at 45-32 with 14:29 remaining.
- Holmes trimmed the deficit down to seven, 45-38, following his layup.
- Wilson put Longwood back in front by 13 points at 54-41 with 10:08 remaining after making two free throws.
- White recorded five of the next seven points for the Spartans as they made the score 54-48 at the 9:08 mark when Brandon Martin was successful on a pair of free throws.
- Smith extended the Lancers lead out to 60-48 three minutes later.
- After USC Upstate got to within six, Longwood registered five straight points to go back in front 67-56 with 3:13 to go.
- The Spartans stormed back with an 11-0 run, including three straight 3-pointers, which covered 2:04 and tied the game at 67-67 with 1:04 to go on a triple by Holmes.
- Span sent the game into overtime as his layup with 27 seconds remaining evened the score at 69-69.
- Holmes gave USC Upstate its first lead of the game at 74-72 less than two minutes into overtime with his 3-pointer.
- Longwood scored the next five points and led 77-74 with 2:05 to go.
- After Span made it a one-point game with two free throws, the Lancers scored four consecutive points and led 81-76 with 23 seconds remaining.
- Welch got the Spartans as close as two points, 81-79, with 13 seconds left after making a 3-pointer.
- Phillips sealed the 83-79 win for Longwood connecting on two free throws with 13 seconds to go in the game.
- USC Upstate remains on the road on Thursday, February 21 when it travels to Charleston, S.C. for a 7:30 p.m. tipoff at Charleston Southern.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).