Spartanburg, S.C. – Deion Holmes scored a game-high 18 points, while Pat Welch contributed 12, as the USC Upstate men's basketball team fell 57-53 in Big South action to the UNC Asheville Bulldogs Wednesday evening from Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate falls to 6-21 on the season and 1-11 in conference play while UNC Asheville improves to 4-22 overall and 2-10 in the league.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Holmes went 6-of-15 from the floor and finished with 18 points to lead all players offensively while setting a new career-high with three blocks.
- Welch came off the bench to score 12 points on three 3-pointers and was 3-for-3 at the free throw line.
- Nevin Zink led all players defensively pulling down a career-best 13 rebounds while scoring six points along with Josh Aldrich.
- Dalvin White and Jure Span each contributed four assists.
- Tajion Jones recorded a team-high 17 points for the Bulldogs while DeVon Baker added 16.
- Jalen Seegars had a team-leading seven rebounds for UNC Asheville.
- The Spartans concluded the game shooting 34.7 percent (17-of-49) from the field and 86.7 percent (13-of-15) at the free throw line.
- USC Upstate held a 22-20 advantage in points in the paint.
- Both teams finished the game with four fast break points.
- The game featured 14 lead changes and six ties.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- The opening six minutes of the game saw the score tied twice before Holmes made a pair of free throws at the 14:14 mark to give the Spartans a 6-5 lead.
- The Bulldogs would then go on a 12-2 run that covered 3:42 and led 17-8 with 10:06 remaining.
- USC Upstate followed with 3-pointers from Welch, Holmes and White to even the score at 19-19 with 5:30 to go.
- Aldrich then scored four straight points to give the Spartans a 23-19 lead at the 4:15 mark.
- After UNC Asheville took a 26-23 lead, USC Upstate outscored the Bulldogs 5-0 over the final 1:13.
- The Spartans held the Bulldogs without a field goal over the final 2:44 of the first half.
- Holmes made a layup and connected on a 3-pointer with 33 seconds remaining to give USC Upstate a 28-26 halftime lead.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- Zink and Holmes gave the Spartans a four-point lead twice over the first 1:30 of the second half with a dunk from Holmes at the 18:30 mark putting them ahead 32-28.
- UNC Asheville answered with four straight points to even the score again at 32-32.
- Welch and Aldrich combined for five straight points as USC Upstate took its largest lead of the game at 37-32 with 12:40 left.
- The next 8:35 saw the lead change hands six times capped at the 4:04 mark when a layup by Holmes gave the Spartans a 48-47 advantage.
- After the Bulldogs took a two-point lead, Everette Hammond evened the score at 50-50 on his jumper with three minutes to go.
- UNC Asheville closed out the game on a 7-3 run.
- Welch got USC Upstate as close as 55-53 with 11 seconds remaining after a pair of free throws.
- Two Bulldog free throws with nine seconds left put the final score at 57-53.
- The Spartans begin a two-game road trip on Saturday afternoon traveling to Longwood for a 3 p.m. tipoff.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).